Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: definitions  (Read 2520 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
definitions
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:11:32 pm »
what exactly is -
a) In-bye grazing?
b) apportionment?
this would be on croftland with no house and no shared grazing rights.

ta

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: definitions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 10:45:22 am »
as I understand it an apportionment is when you have rights on the common grazings and you can request to take a 'portion' of the common grazing for your own use but then in most cases you forfeit your right to the rest of that common grazings? Also if you take an apportionment for your own use you are responsible for fencing that portion off etc,
I'm sure someone will give you a clearer more legal definition later
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 12:38:42 pm »
ahh, thanks. and in-bye means decent land?

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 04:15:15 pm »
as I understand it an apportionment is when you have rights on the common grazings and you can request to take a 'portion' of the common grazing for your own use but then in most cases you forfeit your right to the rest of that common grazings? Also if you take an apportionment for your own use you are responsible for fencing that portion off etc,

Your share of the common grazing will then be reduced by the area which corresponds to the apportionment that you have received.

ahh, thanks. and in-bye means decent land?

Yes, that usually refers to the croft itself, usually fenced these days and a shade of green in winter instead of yellow-brown (except where it has been churned into mud by hooves)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS