Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farmers think im mad paying what i do for a grazing let  (Read 4267 times)

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
Farmers think im mad paying what i do for a grazing let
« on: May 24, 2014, 01:26:38 pm »
I'm on a continuing grazing let of 51wks a year that we roll over every May. It consists of 25acres arable as new Grass, 10 acresof old grass and about 50(usable) acres of rough rush grazing. I also have informal permission to use the old steading for the cattle in winter. Now for this I pay the lofty sum of £3000 a year. And by doing so get no end of stick off the local farmers for paying so much and buy stick I mean varied from mild curses and shaking heads to out right slander of my mental capacity and worth as a human being.

From a Smallholding perspective I think I have a steal, don't you?

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Farmers think im mad paying what i do for a grazing let
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 01:27:56 pm »
I should point out for those in the know, its LFAS ground too!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 01:34:14 pm »
I was getting £1000 a year for that up to 2005
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 01:55:32 pm »
We pay similar up here.

Where are you?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 03:32:14 pm »
Far North highlands.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 03:34:55 pm »
35 quid an acre. . . . per annum.

Not bad at all. Round here, you are looking at 50-75 per acre for ten months.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 04:01:58 pm »
We're paying £200 an acre a year for 6 acres in Aberdeenshire because our landlady doubled the price between us signing the house lease and us getting the use of the field.
we signed on the understanding that she'd sow this part of the field and rent a few acres for £100 per acre per year.
having asked around, the £100 per acre per year is steep, but at the price you're paying, it doesn't sound too bad.

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 07:02:27 pm »
That's what I thought, the LFAS payment is £62 p/ha and I am allowed to bale hay, I got 125bales last year and we bale at silage weight for water resistance. I think I have a great deal.

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 02:42:21 pm »
As long as you are happy does it really matter what others think :thumbsup:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 03:56:51 pm »
The farmers around you are annoyed because they think you have hiked the price on grazing around your area.

I'm interested in buying a 15 acres next to me here, but some numpty up the road pushed the price up on a 32 acres site a few weeks back. He doesn't have a pot to Pi** in let alone £230.000 to buy it. He just ran it up to annoy the guy that wanted it.

The site I'm after has gone up 4k an acre because of him... >:(
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 08:08:08 pm »
I thought half the LFAS payment was fair.... Plus as it abuts my Croft it was a location win. I did think I was under paying when I first offered him that figure.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS