Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swiss chard  (Read 1739 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Swiss chard
« on: May 19, 2014, 12:19:52 am »
My swiss chard is showing no signs of coming through after a couple of weeks. Is this normal? I did wonder if it could be because I sowed them in one of my raised beds which were filled with rotted manure with a little soil added or am I just being impatient?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Swiss chard
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:14:43 am »
I just checked germinarion is 5-16 days pH 6-8... Do you have a pH meter - cheap enough on ebay.

Mine has been up in the greenhouse for several weeks..just getting to a nice size and was the end of my packet of seeds from 2 yrs ago. I wonder if once it's past the baby leaf stage of eating I can transplant to the outside veggie patch and free up some room?

My problem is that the first set of parsnip seeds 2 mths ago? have come up last week but the second set 1 month ago sown at the same time as early carrots .. and neither shows anything above ground. And the first parsnip row are tiny but getting hidden under weeds it's hard to weed out without risking damaging tiny parsnips.

Picked first greenhoue courgettes yesterday.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:18:17 am »
We are acidic here and the one veg which grew like mad was the swiss chard .... hasn't germinated yet this year though .... think I'll put another row in maybe bit early with first?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 10:55:25 am »
It could just be the weather if it's been as hot where you are as it's been here. It was quite chilly still just before the warm spell, that can often confuse seeds.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 04:38:35 pm »
We had plenty of rain last night but even that didn't start them off. Maybe I should check the PH. This is the second time I've had a failed crop.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS