Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubation, Turning eggs... Or not!  (Read 2756 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Incubation, Turning eggs... Or not!
« on: May 22, 2014, 06:46:33 pm »
Three weeks ago I set some eggs. I turn by hand, 3 or 5 times a day for first 4-5 days (means I can squeeze more in) and then candle for duds and discard, then put all the divider bars in, line them all up properly, switch on the turning mechanism and leave them to it.

I found the arm which links the turning motor to the egg tray bit on the windowsill... I'd forgotten to put it back after the last hatch! The motor had been whirring away all the time, till three days to hatching, and I had merrily switched it off. So my eggs had not been turned at all for two weeks and two days. I could hear one pipping so hoped if maybe get a couple?

Result, 10 chicks, 10 unhatched. But all had been fertile and growing at day 5. I didn't crack them open to see when they died as couldn't be bothered.

Thought I'd share, that maybe it's not essential to be so anal about turning eggs?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Incubation, Turning eggs... Or not!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 07:11:16 pm »
I can't believe that a broody hen turns her eggs completely 180 5 times a day :D both of my incubators have been manual and I turn three times a day-once before work, once when I get back about 5-6ish and once before I go to bed at 10ish. I had 100% hatch rate of the eggs that were viable at 5 days last time. I think humidity is the most important thing IME, I had awful hatches until I started running them dry for the first 18 days.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 08:48:10 pm »
I don't get it - you had a 50% hatch rate or a 0% hatch rate? Either way it seems the lack of turning did have an effect - I would expect a much better hatch rate from chicken eggs normally (got 19 from 21 set last time, only one fertile one failed). Having said that, I'm sure you don't need to turn them 180 deg every hour like my cradle does. The only ones I turn manually are the goose eggs but I'm a bit sporadic about those - and, yes, I'm sure humidity is more important.

H

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 09:16:16 pm »
We lost a hatch due to over turning, at least that was what my OH thought. chicks were at the wrong end. Away from the air sac and died. Our next hatch was 100 %.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 06:13:39 am »
If you don't turn them they stick to the side of the egg and can't hatch, which explains why 10 failed StephHen.

Manual turning can introduce bacterial infection. It is only necessary to turn 90 degrees but it is important that the turning moves the eggs over and then back to avoid breaking the Chalaza -the yolk supports. Industrially the eggs stand in their end and are rotated which minimises space and ensures the air sack forms correctly. We have had double air sacks andy have heard of air sacks formed at the wrong end -chick still hatched though.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 10:23:34 am »
I don't get it - you had a 50% hatch rate or a 0% hatch rate? Either way it seems the lack of turning did have an effect.

So more than I'd expect to hatch normally had failed (50%) but when I realised they'd not been turned at all I assumed all would be dead. I've rushed home or had neighbours come in, in the past to make sure the eggs get turned on time... I was surprised any hatched, and to get half out, I am amazed, and thought I'd share.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS