Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb sharing  (Read 1562 times)

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
Lamb sharing
« on: May 20, 2014, 09:54:33 pm »
We have two herdwick ewes that lambed at similar times. One of the lambs was ridiculously large and very slow to get up, we have sent lambs to slaughter with smaller frames than him. He got cleaned off well but looks like the crows had nibbled him on his way out after a long labour so is in the house recouping. A bottle fed lamb is not what I wanted at this time of the year. However we now have two ewes sharing one lamb. That is something I have never seen. I have had one hanging around trying to steal before, some actually stealing lambs, mothers getting confused and rejecting or adopting others but never where there is one lamb that happily suckles off both and neither ewe has a problem with it. Is this something that does tend to occur or is this a rarity?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lamb sharing
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:39:42 pm »
It's a new one on me!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Lamb sharing
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:32:32 pm »
Occasionally have something similar , this year 2 ewes lambed singles at the same time and both are always together suckling either mother .   Also a first for me , a ewe which aborted in march has adopted a single lamb on a ewe and even lets it suckle  but no milk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS