Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Change of use from Agricultural to Equine.  (Read 3673 times)

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Change of use from Agricultural to Equine.
« on: May 20, 2014, 09:09:38 pm »
Hi,am I still allowed to graze farm animals that has had a change of use from agricultural to equine.Sorry I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Change of use from Agricultural to Equine.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 09:54:58 pm »
This is what I'm led to believe by my local council in angus as I am currently waiting for change of use...
... Only livestock can go in an agricultural field,
any animal beit goat , horse , or livestock can go in a paddock

I am hoping to get change of use from agri to paddock as I can't evidence that my goats are livestock as I don't slaughter for food or fur,  it's a lot of   :cow:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 11:58:35 pm »
Its a nightmare my local council are saying I'm grazing animals other that horses on land that has had its use changed to equine.
Sound rediculas to me.
Graham.

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 09:09:38 pm »
Graham,
I've only just picked up this topic hence the delayed reply.

From a planners viewpoint since horses ceased to be used in farming some fifty to sixty years ago they have taken the stance that equine and agricultural are two very distinctly separate use classes hence the requirement for planning applications for change of use.

I have argued in the past that the grant of planning permission 'permits' the change of use but the actual implementation of that permission only occurs  when the landowner/applicant makes use of it e.g if you obtain planning permission to build a house you don't actually use the permission until you build; if you don't build then your permission lapses after 3/5 years dependent upon the timescale condition attached to the permission. Likewise if you have agricultural land with a permission for change of use to equine then if you have not implemented that change of use yet  there is no reason why you cannot continue to use it for agricultural purposes.

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 09:34:51 pm »
We have 8 acres of land classed as agricultural but only keep horses with no problems (so far).  If you have one of them to drag a chain harrow are they then not working animals?

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 09:55:55 am »
As with all planning matters it's many shades of grey, not black and white. If you harrowed every day with your horses then you could argue they'd be working animals, without doubt, but I suspect you don't? I think you'd need to do much more than that with them on a regular basis to substantiate that argument.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS