Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Silver Grey Dorking Cockerel  (Read 2433 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Silver Grey Dorking Cockerel
« on: May 10, 2014, 01:41:44 pm »
Hi All - I am looking for a Silver Grey Dorking fella for my lovely ladies.
Really struggling to find one and am starting to think that they are a rare breed for a reason!
I live in North Yorkshire, work in West Yorkshire and will be travelling to Staffordshire and Northampton in the next week or so, so any of these areas would work.
 :fc:
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Silver Grey Dorking Cockerel
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 02:26:14 pm »
Wishing you luck in your search - I think they are magnificent creatures  :thumbsup:

I had a one given, from our local Rare Breeds bod, so the cock was a good one, but although he was absolutely beautiful  :love: :chook:, he was useless at his job.  A complete wuss, didn't look out for the hens, and the fox had him within two weeks.  ::)   

However, he'd managed to fertilise some eggs and we had a hen go broody, and we reared 4 Warren x Silver Grey Dorkings.  All bloomin' cocks  ::) - but they were tremendous cocks, and they all worked brilliantly at every aspect of their job.  Foxy never got to look near when I had a one of they about ;)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 02:32:17 pm »
Thanks Sally. If you know of/hear of anyone with one please could you let me know? The hens are fab. Really sweet and friendly, they don't scratch up their paddock and they taste great!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 02:49:42 pm »
I'm afraid my neighbour isn't breeding them any more.  You could try the RBST; they have a marketplace on their website and I don't know if you can post things like this on their Facebook page
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 03:27:31 pm »
I have two breeding groups of SGD's.  Do you have an incubator?  We had excellent fertility from both groups last year and I have our first hatch in the incubators now, so hopefully will be in a position to send out hatching eggs after the 16th.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 02:19:45 pm »
Have had 100% hatch and all chicks robust- do you want some hatching eggs?

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 08:15:01 am »
Hi - sorry I missed your post. I have some hatching eggs going into the incubator, but was hoping to breed my own really. Do you know of anyone with a 'ready to go' boy?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 02:18:00 pm »
Not presently, alas.  We shall have a 2013 proven cockerel available after July, but we're rather a long way from you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS