Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice Please on Rhinitis  (Read 1802 times)

Ayeskint

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Fife, Central Scotland
Advice Please on Rhinitis
« on: October 13, 2009, 01:33:25 pm »
Hi folks, I hope you can help me.  I bought some Kune Kune piglets for breeding in the summer and they had a bout of Rhinitis which was hard to shift with antibiotics but we got there eventually.  One on them now has it again (white discharge from nose and snuffling).  Is there any herbal ways I can treat and prevent re-infection?  I have been putting cider vinegar and garlic granules in their water.  Do they ever build up an immunity to this infection, and what happens if antibiotics don't work?  We try to be organic in our methods and don't want to be continually dosing them up with antibiotics................ Can I vaccinate?

thanks
Carol :'(

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: Advice Please on Rhinitis
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 05:36:25 pm »
I presume you mean Atrophic Rhinitis, Yes you can vaccinate against it and you should do it asap. Personally I wouldn't waste your time with organic lotions and potions, get the antibiotics into them again as as soon as you can, its a horrible disease which effects and distorts the nasal bones and is sore and tender for the pig, they tend to rather eat a wet mash than dry food and it wont push in with other pigs as it tries to protect its snout as its painful. It is thought that rats carry the disease. 

Ayeskint

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Fife, Central Scotland
Re: Advice Please on Rhinitis
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 12:48:44 pm »
Thanks for that, my vet isn't too bothered about it if they are not off their food or otherwise poorly.  When asked he confirmed that they could be vaccinated against it - I wished he told me that the last time!! Once the course of anti-biotics is finished they will be vaccinated. Don't have rats as far as I know, but do have mice.  I also wondered if one of them was a carrier.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS