Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feed bill!!!  (Read 11761 times)

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
feed bill!!!
« on: May 15, 2014, 08:55:26 pm »
Ok. I feed Allen &Page nd swear by it. Seen it turn around rescued goats. However my bill for 2 bags is €34 p/w nd not lasting the week....any ideas? I know some feed cattle rationd, but what sort. Thanks
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: feed bill!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:59:48 pm »
we feed harbros calf rearer (£11 - 25kg) or beef stock. (£9-25kg) with unsoaked sugarbeet pellets.
they enjoy it but sometimes have sheep crunch but dont like the crumbly bits in that so waste it a bit.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 09:54:15 pm »
I have gone off Allan&Page because they have become extortionate... although one of my GG's really likes it ...

I feed now a mix of (soaked) sugar beet shreds plus some rolled oats plus calf mix (18% protein) plus the milkers get some dairy nuts (18% protein). Most of mine prefer the calf mix to the diary nuts, and I do have one milker who throws (and I mean throw)!) her food bowl across the shed if I include dairy nuts ...  :eyelashes: but I do love my goats, honestly!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 10:16:55 pm »
Put GOAT on a bag and it doubles the price but £17 is ridiculous!!!!!!

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 10:46:57 pm »
We use Clover Sheep Crunch from Harbro or Geddes which is £11.65 at the moment. We tried mixing with some beet shreds but our girls never took to it. They are pygmies so tend to be choosy!
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 11:07:53 pm »
According to http://www.animalfeedstore.com/Small-Holder-Range/Dairy-Goat-Mix.aspx the price is £12  a bag. I know you quoted the price in euros but is £12 the same as 17 euros?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 06:00:30 pm »
I feed a local merchants own goat mix (£7.45-20kg, alternate with premium ewe and lamb mix (£7.70-25kg), adding minerals, esp just now on spring grass they seem to be OK.
I fed dairy nuts last year, reading this has reminded me to get some again.
Also feed mixed flake, but that is shooting up at £10.45 for 25kg, or £10.50 for 20kg at another merchants (but on OH's route so more convenient for him).

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 10:17:06 pm »
We use Clover Sheep Crunch from Harbro or Geddes which is £11.65 at the moment. We tried mixing with some beet shreds but our girls never took to it. They are pygmies so tend to be choosy!

Just a thought but you might find the Clover calf crunch from Geddes a better choice, it has copper in it  :thumbsup:

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 10:40:42 pm »
Thanks for the tip Skirza  :)
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 06:07:19 am »
Coarse calf mix.........own brand perfectly good.   Contains all the minerals, in fact much more than goat mix..........that a goats needs.   Is a fraction of the price.
To the milkers, I feed dairy milker nuts (various names but same product)..............price is usually £8.50 for 25kg.

It is important to feed an 18% protein to goats.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 09:17:37 pm »
Hiya folks. Thanks for all your answers!
Anke, as you know I'm no stranger to tempermental goats!! There's a fine line between love nd hate...lol :roflanim: Thanks for your reply, tried them on soaked beet a while ago, but not mixed with anything else.
Mad goatwoman, think that's about right...
Skirza, that's just the point. I belived the mineral requirements were closer to cow's.
Whytsend, would need to feed for milkers as one of my girls hasn't kidded for two years nd has come into milk again!!
Thanks again folks!! Think I'll do them 1 A&P, 1 dairy (can you get crunch?, nd some beet. Should work out better. ...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 09:42:27 pm »
Calf MIXES are usually quite crunchy... most of mine prefer them to diary nuts.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 09:50:31 pm »
We soak 5 scoops sb pellets, 2 scoops grass nuts, 3 scoops high Dengie fibre nuts, this does the goats and  horses,  but in addition the goats get calf rearer  pellets unsoaked but mixed in fresh. and add lib hay.
the horses get  rolled barley an whole oats with it.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 09:53:12 pm by tizaala »

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 06:04:25 pm »
Well, as we all know the girls particularly are fussy, nd I prefer crunch to pellets. Being naturally suspicious I wonder what else is in the pellets...but will the big yielders get all they need from the calf crunch? Mixed with other..
Tizala. What are sb pellets, nd grass nuts? From a horsey place I guess rather than agri store....

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 06:08:43 pm »
sb - sugarbeet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS