Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: i need a bigger chainsaw  (Read 6212 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
i need a bigger chainsaw
« on: May 15, 2014, 07:25:46 pm »
i'm doing more and more work on land where trees are an issue (either in the way or i get asked to tidy them up whilst doing other stuff)

I know what i'm doing and i'm quite happy cutting them down so long as im not near buildings :-)

however my little 14inch bar on a cheap chinese chainsaw (it has served me well doing firewood for years) just isn't man enough for some of these jobs...

i need something better probably in the region of an 18inch bar and reliable, any recommendations or should i just man up and go buy a stihl as they are apparently the best...

i only want to buy new as they're one tool i wouldn't trust second hand and the price tag on some of the stihls makes me take a deep breath...

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: i need a bigger chainsaw
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:43:52 pm »
Stihl or Husky, no contest I'm afraid. Try Burnside Garden Machinery in Queenzieburn, Nr Kirkintilloch for a good deal and good after-sales service  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:44:28 pm »
I've been really happy with my husky.... It's the last model before pro and my local forestry store advised me well. Can't remeber model-  Will have to go and look tomorrow :roflanim: :roflanim:  Maybe 340?   Anyway I have an 18 inch bar for bigger things but mostly use the 15" cause it is more flexible re brashing etc.  the main thing is a good motor.... My mate bought the entry level stihl and it was crap, only really any use for cross cutting simple 8-10" stems.  I love huskies because the chain sharpening system is so easy!  It was about £300. That's all I know :-) (I asked advice at the shop, took it, and happy chopper still,  4 years later :fc: ...

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:48:32 pm »
yeah stihl or husky for definite- i'm a husky

pigalicious

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Caithness
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 08:46:55 am »
Stihl or Husquvarna. I used to work in forestry years back and used both these, I wouldn't recommend any other make.

All chainsaws have the same sharpening system, surely, don't they?

The shorter bar you can get away with the better. A 13" bar should manage a 24"tree no problem.
Big bar need more power (heavier saw).

I use Husky and prefer them over stihl, but both make great professional saws.

P
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 09:05:03 am by pigalicious »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 08:59:29 am »
The shorter bar you can get away with the better. A 13" bar should manage a 24"tree no problem.
Big bar need more power (heavier saw).

That's a good point. Bloomer - are you sure it's a longer bar you need, or would a short bar be fine if you put it on a better saw?

You're welcome to come up here and test drive my 346XP if you like, to see what you think?  Personally I love it. The power to weight ratio is great, and my pal (who is a bit of a chainsaw junkie) was also very impressed with how capable it was for being such a small saw  :thumbsup: .

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 10:24:28 am »
i definitely need more power and having investigated costs i cant afford a saw that can take a longer bar, current front runner is the MS211 with a 16inch bar...

im going to go have a look at a husky next week

womble i may just take you up on that offer  ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 11:20:44 am »
OK, just give me a shout if I can help.

Cactus Jack

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Tortosa catalunya
    • stevel100
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 01:35:33 pm »
I use a stihl m170 with a 14" bar never tried a husky.
In its third year of very heavy use on olive trees (very hard wood) I get through a new chain every year.
I've not needed to buy any yet but all the spares you could possibly need are readily available.
Starts on third pull when cold and first pull when warmed up every time.

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 08:27:49 pm »
on my thered saw and it gets a lot of use, i went for a stihl cozz my local guy is stihl.
I got a ms 261 really happy with it really well balanced bettween wight and power.
will do big stuff if needed and mid size use is a breeze. It was recommended through
arbtalk a good site for all things trees.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 08:38:10 am »
after the bad winter when several large trees came down I was knackered cutting 30 inch truncks with an 18in saw and went and bought a large stihl: yes it's great for that, goes through like butter but even a well balanced saw like that does get heavy quickly. It's taken me a couple of years of chainsaw work to fully realise how well one can sharpen a chain and make the effort to keep it sharp and how much that makes the job easier.
Before you buy a new saw buy a new chain.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 09:24:26 am »
100% Stihl or Husky, they won't let you down. There is a reason why they are the world leaders and used for all commercial and industrial work.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS