Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lame and pregnant  (Read 6006 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
lame and pregnant
« on: May 15, 2014, 09:26:10 am »
hello all
One of my heavily pregnant Soay ewes suddently appeared lame on one front foot this morning.
I can catch her but she is not one of the tamer ones, so I worry that wrestling her to treat her foot will stress her too much in her heavily pregnant state (I don't know their due date exactly as the ram is in with them permanently, but it must be imminent the way they look!)
What would you do?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: lame and pregnant
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 09:35:22 am »
Same happened with my Soay ewe, she was lame for about 4-5 days before she gave birth - probably either heaviness of belly or more like udder getting bigger and she's not used to the feeling around her legs area.  My girl is fine now she has a wee one to divert her attentions.

My big sis used to pretend she had a limp when she was a wee girl as an attention seeking device.  ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 09:38:19 am »

Firstly, give it 24-48 hours to see if it goes away :) .

If it doesn't, gather them as a group so as not to stress her.  Treat the foot whilst the ewe is standing up, don't turn her over (tether her, or get someone else to hold her).

Alternatively, if she's only a few days off, wait until she has lambed.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 10:11:22 am »
Don't do owt that involves turning her, any stress at all, could cause a whole new set of issues.  If she were here, we d keep an eye, get her lambed down and if she ll settle a nice enclosure with a pal maybe for a day or two let her bits settle back down, then do them x
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:12:54 am by Hellybee »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 11:22:20 am »
Personally I don't tip up or otherwise stress heavily pregnant ewes unless the alternative is worse.  If she can still get about and feed, and is doing so, I'd leave it until she's lambed.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 11:26:04 am »
we had a couple the same and although they looked terribly uncomfortable we decided the stress of catching them wasn't worth it. typically it was two of the wildest who hate being caught and would undoubtedly have got stressed out. luckily they were close and it was just a few days till we could have a better look and sort it out. if its weeks to go then prob have to do something unless it sorts itself in a day or so

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 12:46:34 pm »
Thanks to everyone for your input.
My gut feeling too that I shouldn't do anything drastic and just keep an eye on her for now (I moved them next to the house yesterday) but feeling much better having had the reassurance from all of you experienced people!  :wave:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 07:20:40 am »
I wouldn't touch her till she has lambed - usually it then miraculously gets better.

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 09:37:47 am »
where i was working lambing, we have a fenced off bit of the garden temporarily for lambing season and put triplets, lamb ewes or anything else that needs an ewe kept on it. if it were to be down to me i would gently drive her down into this part of the garden and keep a close eye on her until she has lambed and the lambs are up on their feet and dry and all and then turn affected ewe over on her bum and check and trim and spray if need be all feet

report back when she has lambed, please
Cheers Ed

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 07:57:35 pm »
Yep, they are in the garden now, so I watching her. The limping seems worse today, but she still moves around with the flock and is eating and looks OK otherwise, so just keeping fingers crossed that the lambs will come soon!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 08:17:55 pm »
I would also leave her until she's lambed - when they're heavily pregnant, the stress and handling is far worse than a sore foot"

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 03:08:10 pm »
She's getting worse, hardly putting any weight on the foot now, hobbling about on 3 legs. I find it very hard to watch and do nothing. They do look very pregant but for what I know lambing could start tomorrow or still be 2 weeks away...

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 03:28:19 pm »
If you have to catch up a heavily pregnant ewe then it helps to plan as far ahead as is possible, be prepared to abort an attempt if its clear the ewe is getting stressed at any point and catch up a small group together. Is there a way you can get the sheep used to being in a smaller  area  before catching up?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 03:28:38 pm »
If it was me I would gather them all up into a confined space, squeeze myself in, lift the sore foot and give it a quick spray with engymicin or whatever the blue spray is called. Then at least I would feel that I had tried you may also be able to check how big her udder is so how close to lambing she may be
Anne

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 09:11:17 pm »
If it was me I would gather them all up into a confined space, squeeze myself in, lift the sore foot and give it a quick spray with engymicin or whatever the blue spray is called. Then at least I would feel that I had tried you may also be able to check how big her udder is so how close to lambing she may be
good idea if she still hasn't lambed in the next few days and it only gets worse

as for OP, as in quoted post can you see her udder to see how big it is and thus how close to lambing she is? without even getting too close to her?
Cheers Ed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS