Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone understand genetics  (Read 3259 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Anyone understand genetics
« on: October 12, 2009, 09:01:37 pm »
This is a photo of one of our chicks that hatched at the end of July.  Dad is a Cuckoo Maran and the Mum either a Copper Black or Black Rock, but how did it end up looking like it does?

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h214/MiriamVernon/2009/008-3.jpg[/img]]

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Anyone understand genetics
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:09:51 pm »
Gorgeous!  I think she's lovely
the cuckoo must be the more dominant colour, though it looks a 'pencilled' colouring really.
Do you know the grand-parentage of the sires? There could be anything going on!
true black rocks - are they the ones with very limited breeding? So do you have the real sort?
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:00:32 pm »
Gordon was given to us as a stray that had turned up in a friends garden and I have no idea about Black Rocks and genetics.  Infact I have no idea about genes full stop!  She's very beautiful though isn't she - looks nothing like any other hens we have!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:51:52 pm »
very. worth trying to breed from her they should sell well.

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:12:12 am »
Curious!  It looks like blue colour to me, but how on earth you got it from those parents is a mysetry to me... a black rock is a hybrid between a rhode island red and a plymouth rock, which is barred rather than cuckoo, but the cuckoo should still have come out dominant. Random mutation maybe??

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:42:09 am »
What do any brothers or sisters look like? We've had similar puzzles with our ducks and I must say I do enjoy the genetic chaos! But I'm never going to exhibit my birds, the poultry clubs wouldn't let me join anyway ;D  :&>

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 06:51:43 pm »
One of the other chicks looks exactly like Dad and is male.  The other hen is cuckoo all over, but is dark with a slightly red chest so I think her Mum was definitely a Black Rock - we've been calling her a Speckled Rock!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 07:01:52 pm »
sounds like they are all beauties!  :) :)
I'm not sure, but it might be that the next generation offspring might be sterile , should you want to keep going with chicks. Others may know more about it... :&>

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 07:05:28 pm »
Why would they be sterile?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 07:36:25 pm »
no they will be fine she is the evidence of that. theses are chickens not highly adapted creatures. brings to mind Jurassic park and the warning nature always has her way.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 08:31:43 pm »
Glad to be put right, Paul. I was told that would be the case with certain breeds of ducks (Indian runner + Muscovy). The lady who told me breeds Muscovies, so I tend to believe her - but I do know that chickens are not ducks  ;D .Could it be because those breeds are originally from different continents?  :&>

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 08:38:55 pm »
could be i know nuffink about ducks we dont have a pond and the wife is not a fan. but chickens seem to get on ok. even the messed up red hens will brood and hatch. im planning on crossing some hylines with cochins,brahmas and jersey giants and seeing if i can get meatier birds that lay well to. the question would be what to mate her with maybe her brother and see what that does.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS