Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: gahh, bloody crows stealing eggs!  (Read 22433 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: gahh, bloody crows stealing eggs!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 08:13:02 pm »
I lost 2 doz. last weekend to the crow. If I find a dead one my brother told me to hang it up and the others will give the barn a wide berth.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 06:04:01 pm »
Same problem here, they've been at it since the season started. My worst nightmare is that they leave half eaten eggs and the hens think "That's tasty"  >:( , so I'm cruising the garden all day long but only find empty shells..

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 08:59:28 am »
Larson trap works a treat I had this problem eBay Larson trap bait with eggs by the time you catch a few the others soon get the point....

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 10:39:56 am »
just remember if you trap them you have to kill them quickly and humanely so that needs to be planned for.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 11:21:29 am »
You have to blast the nests erley on . 2 shots for a big nest the onley way becouse its been a mield spring .
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 11:23:25 am by Victorian Farmer »

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 12:18:15 am »
Lots of crows this year. I haven't got around to dealing yet but on days where I can't get up to the pens, I am losing all the eggs. My pen of Welsummers are laying 10-11 a day and if I don't get up 'till 4 they are all gone. I can't afford  that. Wed looks fine so hides will be built tomorrow and death will happen then. A few of them set up on V sticks will keep the rest away.

It's not their fault, they are only doing what they do. Problem is they are clever buggers so most fixes don't work.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 07:46:36 am »
Here they "just" get the eggs from outdoor attempts at nesting. Do the crows (or magpies) go into the bird houses in your place? I've heard that maybe a curtain in front of the nesting boxes helps (worked wonders here for other reasons like egg eating hens and bullying).

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 11:06:54 am »
I have curtains for the nesting boxes in my big coop-they aren't getting in there right now. In the paddock I rent a couple of miles away I have three fledgling crows on the grass but can't bring myself to dispatch one and hang it up  :-[

I am a bit :/ about the amount of starlings we have too-they are the number one wildlife reservoir for gapeworm apparently.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 01:16:40 pm »
I feed my cats in the feed room every morning. they have been acting hungry over the past week . Turns out once I leave the building and come back into the house the crow drops in, chases both cats away and eats all the food. I watched on camera this morning. Can't get the eggs anymore so has moved onto the poor cats.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 02:18:47 pm »
I am so sorry to hear that. Last week it was the same, I had a broody hen and a crow kept on scaring her off her eggs, because of that the eggs did not hatch and then because of that crow, or should I say magpie, hatching was an absolute disaster, no alive chicks and a hen which has wasted her whole time. With broody hens I would recommend buying a broody hen house and putting it in a garage or building where you can keep an eye on her and she would be safe from the weather and crows, or magpies.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 02:31:40 pm »
Absolutely right, WBF. We have a spare eglu on long-term loan which serves as prison for bullies, hospital wing or maternity ward. Last year 2 hatches of ducklings were born in there and should that hens' nest in the shed turn into a sitter hopefully some chicks this year  :fc:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 02:35:03 pm »
yes, as I said-I do normally but it was being used for growers that were due to go a couple of days later and was trying to strike while the broody was hot ;) lesson learned-have 20 in the incy now and thats it for this year.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 03:37:47 pm »
Aye, it gives you an idea of the kind of hell corvids play with  the rest of the wild bird population. Egg robbing little sods.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 03:48:04 pm »
ah good its not just me then  :rant:

actually sat and watched a hoodie crow pop into the duck house and another in the hen house, and pop back out with eggs in the beaks, despite having 100 chickens in the vicinity, they don't scare them away!
going to bait a nest and get them with the air rifle i think!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 03:00:13 pm »
The crows (and rooks and jackdaws) have gone back to only eating the cocks food. It is only a few birds that come here and go into the pens. They know the eggs are in traps and are too wise to them. I want to sit with the air riffle, but I struggle to stay in one place for long enough for them to come in. I've got to get on top of these birds.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS