Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: single sock/bottle lamb?  (Read 6523 times)

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
single sock/bottle lamb?
« on: May 14, 2014, 04:35:15 pm »
will be getting 3 proper lambs on grass later in the year once they have been weaned off the ewes but there is a sock/bottle or whatever you wish to call it that has been offered to me. I would be happy to take this lamb but am not sure if DEFRA allows me to, as it would be a single sheep until i get my other 3?

any other pointers i ought to be aware of?
Cheers Ed

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
Re: single sock/bottle lamb?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 04:45:18 pm »
DEFRA won't mind (unless you don't have a CPH number) but the lamb will mind.

Probably best to wait until your three arrive together.

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 06:11:46 pm »
DEFRA won't mind (unless you don't have a CPH number) but the lamb will mind.

Probably best to wait until your three arrive together.
farmer currently keeps sock lamb by it's self so is used to being alone
i also need a herd number for just the one?
Cheers Ed

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 08:09:49 pm »
 :o The molly lamb (as theyre called round here) will surely come tagged  with his flock number x

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 08:10:20 pm »
No don't keep it alone, they are herd animals and need company- 2 is ok, 3 of them is better.

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 08:41:59 pm »
:o The molly lamb (as theyre called round here) will surely come tagged  with his flock number x
i doubt farmer will tag with herd number straight away as it is still rather small but rather i will get a tag off him when it is a bit bigger
but i still need a herd number as it has then been separated effectively from it's original herd?
Cheers Ed

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 08:52:19 pm »
No don't keep it alone, they are herd animals and need company- 2 is ok, 3 of them is better.
will wait until his ewe lambs have finished lambing and see if he has any cock/bottle lambs from them that i could also take on
Cheers Ed

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 09:45:29 pm »
Unless you have a friendly dog? I have had the odd orphan lamb and my spaniels usually adopt it. The lamb never wants to be with rest of flock and quite often stay in garden and lie with dogs.  I had one the other year thought it was a chicken and used to lie with them!

Depends how kong before you get the others. Try and find another orphan to keep it company.  They will scream when hungry which can annoy the neighbours if you are at work.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 10:11:39 pm »
The farmer will have to tag it before it leaves the farm it was born on- my tame lambs are tagged at 24hrs old and are fine.

You don't think you need a herd number as it hasn't been bred on your land but you will need a CPH number as far as I'm aware but stand to be corrected
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:22:34 am by twizzel »

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 10:41:05 pm »
Exactly :)

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 10:59:11 pm »
The farmer will have to tag it before it leaves the farm it was born on- my tame lambs are tagged at 24hrs old and are fine.

You won't  need a herd number as it hasn't been bred on your land but you will need a CPH number.
so the only number i need  for store and/or sock/bottle/molly etc lambs is the CPH or holding number? we already have this as we keep pigs, can i simply get sheep and thats it DEFRA need know nothing? i have to tell them when i am moving them though?
Cheers Ed

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 09:07:10 am »
Get in touch with your local branch and ask for a herd number, then also ask for some movement licences, they re also available at mart offices.  But the farmer should be filling in that movement licence for you as that's where they are leaving and you sign as the destination, I'm sure a lamb is as same as an adult, with regards to paperwork. Not 100 % though.   

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 09:17:12 am »
Yes a lamb is the same as a sheep movement wise. The aml 1 movement forms have now been replaced with online forms which should be used instead... Need to get my head round it too!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 10:08:04 am »
Cheers twizzel :)

Yeah ...should be used.... I dunno, I ll be checking next time we visit the  mart for a nose if paper will still suffice lol x

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 11:44:57 am »
thanks all  :thumbsup:
will call local DEFRA and see what their up to date word is!

when you say the moving forms are available at the mart, what do you mean by 'the mart'?
Cheers  Ed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS