Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb with ear tag ripped out  (Read 5895 times)

Nethermoor Pigs

• Joined Mar 2014
Lamb with ear tag ripped out
« on: April 27, 2014, 09:17:13 pm »
First post, see how it goes... One of my Zwartbles lambs caught its ear in a gate today and ripped it out.  Nice bloody mess!  I have cleaned the wound as best as i can and applied spray antiseptic.  Do any of you know of anything better or more i should be doing? 

Also, if any of you have or know of a pedigree Zwartbles ram for hire near Wingerworth, Derbyshire, i would be glad to know!

Thanks

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Lamb with ear tag ripped out
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 09:30:16 pm »
farm i have been working at as of recently (Lleyn sheep) had a dog bite/graze a ewes nose as it started on the dog and dog is a rather defensive one :( cue lots of shouting and swearing from farmer :( we just washed nose with tap water as there was lots of blood and didn't have any anti-septic on hand so after some contemplating and a few phone calls farmers partner drives into town and gets anti septic spray and we apple it several hours after wound occurred (ewe and lambs kept in large strawed pen for a couple of days)
Cheers Ed

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 12:46:39 am »
Apparently SuperGlue can be used to repair the tear, if the edges are still fresh and not healed over (it was originally developed for battlefield use on Humans).  Then you can put in your replacement tag - but leave it a while for the ear to heal.
I wish I'd known about the superglue a few years ago as I had several with split ears, not just lambs.  I changed my tags (to Allflex Bubblegum) and have had no more problems.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:37:47 am »
I wouldn't have thought of superglue, but I have glued myself back together with it on several occassions, so would have thought it could work.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 09:00:57 am »
Good to know , also about good tags..... I bought some button tags from fearings on their recommendation and they have been awfull for catching on things and ripping out ... And the posts are HUGE (neighbour farmer was horrified and said they were as big as cow tag posts). Trouble is I have loads left, but don't think I can bring myself to use rest (not to mention a couple of ewes now have ripped ears.  Think I will have to bit the bullet and change.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:58:44 am »
The idea of using tissue glue is supposed to be to pop tiny spaced dots of the stuff..so that tissues cn heal between those barrier dots which finally fall out.
I foudn it very difficult to do neatly..tends to run along the wound; which doesn't matter so much when the tissues can stick to underlying connective tissue and hold position.
For an ear whch is effectively a sandwich where the bread heals quickly but the filling is way slow it's going to be difficult to do.
Having stuck myself to a couple of aggressive GSD's feet that i was trying to stick cuts on i gave up using the stuff - sutures are way easier to control.

You'ld need dots along each edge as a  progessive repair holding each dotted bit closed for the setting time and working along then flipping the ear to do the other side. A bottle of release agent wouldn't be amiss for your personal rescue.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 11:27:36 am »
I used purple spray last year but it dried the wound out so much that it split, so kept applying sudocrem to keep it moist also as a barrier to flies (which are most certainly out in this weather).

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 11:56:29 am »
LOL :roflanim: pgkevet I can picture it well, probably my worst nightmare!!
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

JHunter2013

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 11:11:24 pm »
I've had problems this year as well with the bloody EID Button tags! Horrible things I've decided. Two lambs in two days ripped theirs out on the stock fencing. Poor girls :( But gave them antibiotic jags and blue sprayed the ears and they seem to be doing fine. Defo think I'll be switching to a different style of tags tho

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS