Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: loose stools  (Read 2741 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
loose stools
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:58:21 pm »
 ;D i know that this is not a pretty subject to talk about :'( but lately when im cleaning the chicken house in the mornings im finding loose stools amongst the chicken manure is this something to be worried about or is it just one of those things. and again has anyone any sugestions about cutting down on layer pellets during winter months when egg production slows down or does it really matter thanks anyway for all replys they are a great help ;D
Langdon ;)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: loose stools
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:07:02 pm »
Sorry, haven't a clue about your question (except try feeding them melon - then you'll really know about it!), but what a cracking title for an introductory post!  :o

Welcome along!!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:10:48 pm »
Yes, I thought that... is 'loose stools' an appropriate username?
Sorry, I'm a bit giddy today!

Really though Langdon, can you be more descriptive re the poo?  The white stuff is always more runny, being more like urine than poo, and often we find really sloppy greeny ones now again, with no obvious efffects to the hens

PS welcome!
Little Blue

sandy

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 08:54:00 pm »
Hello, when you have animals you become a poo expert!!! ;) I think I get a mixture of loose and solid poo's from my chickens so am not sure if it is unusual at all, as long as they look chirpy and well!! maybe they are eating too much fruit or greens, I am no expert!! I too wounder about cutting down on the pellets but they seem to be eating much more lately...anyway, when you mentioned stools I always remember a friend going to the Dr's who asked him what colour his stools were and of course he gave that classic answer "Red Formica" ;)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 07:00:35 am »
When I started with chickens a local farmer, who has kept chickens for years and years said to me to watch out for the 'number 8 pooh'!  Apparently every 8th pooh is very stinky and tends to be looser and a different colour to the others.

Could it be that?
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

sandy

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 08:15:46 am »
 ;)Thats sounds a difficult task, dose that mean each chickens 8th one!!!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:21:59 am »
Yes, every chicken's 8th pooh.   

sandy

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:27:59 am »
OK!! ;)

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 08:41:44 am »
If you go on the practical poultry forum they are obsessed with chicken by product. the have a section on it and pictures for reference. please, no pictures on here, I'm too delicate ;)

sandy

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 11:36:08 am »
Just been cleaning up the garden and I think all my chickens do thier 8th one next to the garden bench poooooooooooh!!! ;)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 04:48:34 pm »
welcome, langdon - what a lovely start on the introduction page  ;D
out of interest, does the 8th rule apply to ducks, too, JulieS? They are producing the described consistency most of the time, can it get any runnier?? :&> ::)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 04:51:54 pm »
I'm afraid I don't know about the ducks northfifeduckling.....I'll ask the farmer when I see him tomorrow, he seems to know a lot about all sorts of things  :)   Although from what I've read about ducks I think it is quite runny all the time.

sandy

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 05:17:00 pm »
custard ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS