Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Question re purchase of Pen & Strep & Anti-Biotic  (Read 4705 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Question re purchase of Pen & Strep & Anti-Biotic
« on: May 12, 2014, 02:33:25 pm »
Two Queries:

1)  Have searched online for Pen & Strep and Orojet and the websites I have visited say I need a prescription to purchase. These brands appear not to be available in the country where my sheep are, so I can't get a UK prescription. Have spoken with my vet, he does not stock anything of this nature.

Whilst I carry on researching what might be available to me, I need to find out if any other brand is available to purchase in the UK without a prescription.

Does anyone know?

- - - -

2)  Anti-Biotic query: Vet says once seal is broken, unused anti-biotic is to be thrown. He also said do not use after it's use by date.

So you guys buy in anti-biotic and follow the above? He thought it unusual that I might want to keep some put by in the first aid kit (i.e. buy it, chuck it out, buy another etc).

Thanks again. After the weekend I've just had I want to get this right.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Question re purchase of Pen & Strep & Anti-Biotic
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 02:48:45 pm »
Your vet should stock pen & strep it's a common antibiotic for sheep and cattle? Are you using a large animal or small animal vet?

All intravenous antibiotics will need a prescription, you need to talk to your vet but it's worth having a couple of basic antibiotics ready for use as and when- we've got alamycin, pen/strep and another one for the calves that I've forgotten the name of.

We use our antibiotics until they are out of date, most of the time if we just need 1 dose of a drug the vet will draw it up in a syringe (did this for a lamb that had an abscess and needed synulox, vet gave us enough for 3 days in 1 syringe) but the bottle should normally be fine until the use by date if it's stored correctly.

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 03:18:50 pm »
Where (which country are you in?) are you trying to purchase?

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 03:37:30 pm »
We get antibiotics as and when we need them from the vet. We just ring them up, tell them what the problem is and they have it ready within 30mins or us to collect. This year we do have a 100ml jar of some form of antibiotic which they gave us at the start of lambing but off the top of my head I can't remember the name of it. Used less than half but the rest won't be used and we would normally bin it after it being opened a month. They also tend to know which ones are most effective for what in our area.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 04:09:36 pm »
All antibiotic injections in the UK will be POM-V - prescription only medications to be prescribed/dispensed only by a veterinarian who has the animals 'under their care' - for large animals that usually means have been on the farm at some point and have regular contact to make sure that animals being treated are done so in a sensible manner.
Most antibiotics again will have a 28 day shelf life once broached, the bottle or packaging will tell you this date. Many will be fine after the 28 days, but efficacy cannot be guaranteed outwith the period specified. As long as used by the use by date, you should be fine.
If your vet has seen your animals/farm, it should not be difficult to get a written prescription for drugs you require, usually a chargeable service.
All the best
Suzanne

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 04:52:37 pm »
Here is a mainly cattle area,  no problem for my vet to supply a bottle of Duphamox LA  on prescription. He visited only today for a health cert;

http://www.ircp.anmv.anses.fr/SpcFrame.asp?Product_Identifier=DUPHAMOX+LA

the 28 day  opening applies to all bottles even those in a vet surgery. I  can't imagine  that your vet doesn't have available to him bog standard inj antibiotics  even if he doesn't he can order through his drug supplier.

Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 04:56:12 pm »
I imagine you have to follow the regulations/law of wherever you are....... which isn't necessarily the same as here
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 05:12:09 pm »
No worries I live in france too
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:23:00 pm »
Thanks all for the replies. Vet has supplied me with anti-biotics (it's the brand named products in my first question that aren't available).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS