Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: introducing chicks to main flock?  (Read 2204 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
introducing chicks to main flock?
« on: May 12, 2014, 09:39:32 am »
how old should chicks be before being allowed to mingle with the main flock

i only have 5 birds and 3 chicks the broody and chicks are currently in a rabbit run inside the main run so the flock see the chicks and so on, mummy chicken obviously want out even though she's being an awesome mum...

if im honest the chick run is a bit small and will be rebuilt for any future broods...

so suggestions on whats safe/good practice please...

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: introducing chicks to main flock?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:04:10 am »
I don't generally until they are old enough to eat layers pellets! Am sure others do different but when I started out I had several very experienced poultry men tell me to not mix young stock with old stock-lots of reasons from behavioural to immunity. So I keep mine apart for as long as possible.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:06:00 am »
Guess it depends on temperaments. I had five chicks with broody mum in a run where adult hens could wander round and see the family. Think I kept them in for about 4 weeks, then let them out. Kept an eye on them at first, but with a broody mum and plenty of space, I saw no problems. Chicks still sleep in their own little house, but spend all day free range with everyone else.

If it was a choice between having a tiny run turned to mud or messy for them to stand in or being out with your few other hens, I'd let them out.

But then I have lots of space and only feed grains to adults (chicks get crumb in their house).

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 08:10:05 am »
Our chicks are still in the broody run becasue the mother doesn't keep an eye on them and wanders off leaving them target to predators. Cockerel is pretty good in that he nags her to go back but she's a bit dim and more interested in her food  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS