Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Triplets - 1 day old too weak to stand  (Read 5314 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Triplets - 1 day old too weak to stand
« on: May 11, 2014, 02:42:48 pm »
Ewe had triplets yesterday, 1 dead, 1 doing well. 1 not doing so good:

Yesterday was a nice warm sunny day but then the heavens opened and the small lamb got chilled after downpour of rain. Brought her in, warmed her up, gave colostrum and a feed. Perked up nicely and went back out to mum.

To be on the safe side gave a late feed (she took about 100ml) and another 100ml 4am, all well. Was very vocal and lively.

This morning too weak to feed, chilling again by lunchtime so back in under the heat lamp.

Warmed up but too weak to stand, and too weak to take any milk/colostrum.

What am I missing that might have caused this, and what more can I do?

Not experienced enough to inject or tube.

No sheep farmers nearby.

Suggestions gratefully appreciated.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Triplets - 1 day old too weak to stand
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 03:23:38 pm »
If you can keep near mum with heat lamp over and keep feeding little and often. Make sure meconium has passed through and maybe give some kick start. Might just need a little extra tlc due to being one of three. Might take a few days to get going but mum will reject if you keep taking away. Call vet in morning for advice. I've had a few like it, thought they'd die then they suddenly perk up. Good luck

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 03:37:02 pm »
The lamb is inside, as that is where the electricity is for the lamp. She has warmed up but no sign of improvement re lethargy. Remains laying down, floppy, cannot take own weight.

Am offering little and often. Not really taking much (merely a drop, if any) down.

Both lambs passed their 'caramel' poo.

She passed hers prior to coming in, and she's had a couple of pee's since.

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 03:59:44 pm »
What the lamb cold in the mouth when you brought her in this morn? Sounds a bit odd if she had a belly full at 4am but then too weak in the morning.

Was the lamb quick to stand when born? How big is the lamb? Does the lamb suck your finger or no suck? Milk correct temp?

If they are properly hypothermic more than once it can be pretty rough on them. Ideally you want to tube the lamb - where are you? It's a bit scary though if you've never done it before

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 04:15:48 pm »
Born in the field early a.m. and until she got chilled was standing with her brother doing lamb stuff just fine. Mum was doing her job.

A triplet, so is small, her brother the largest.

No suck on finger. Milk temp fine.

As per first post, unfortunately unable to tube as never shown how.

Unknown what might have caused this.

If anyone has any suggestions re anything more can I do, appreciated.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 05:04:51 pm »
If she was slow getting colostrum intially she could be prone to getting Ecoli/watery mouth and may need antibiotics.  Do you know a local farmer/smallholder who could help you with tube feeding her?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 05:08:22 pm »
Where are you? I think in these circumstances I would watch a youtube video or similar and try tubing her- it's scary at first but you definitely know when you've got it going down the right way. Not ideal but if there's no one around that can show you I think you need to bite the bullet and try it or you could end up with another dead lamb. Tube with colostrum- we used the Net Tex Ultra Concentrate lamb colostrum, for very weak and unviable lambs it says to give a ultra concentrated dose and we had good results from it this year.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 05:19:39 pm »
Put her in a warm jacket made of an old fleece or similar - just a rectangle with slits cut for the front legs - and under a lamp.  If you can plug one into a socket outside put a hurdle across the corner of a pen so the lamb can see mama but the ewe can't crash into the lamp.  Stomach tube colostrum and watch out for watery mouth (can't swallow, spittle coming from mouth, belly looks distended).  Pneumonia also likely.  Suggest consulting the vet and not expecting too much.  We lamb indoors and giveall Spectam at birth and a jacket and a first feed of colostrum to the vulnerable ones. The tiddlers need warmth, the reassurance of mama being near, and stomach tubing so long as they can hold their head up.  If you can get them through the first three days I reckon the omens are good. Weather here (windy and cold) is not good for little 'uns. 

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 05:31:51 pm »
You tube - for tubing. I agree. It's pretty hard (not impossible) but hard to tube the trachea. Warm the tube in hot water or milk so well lubricated, soft and supple. It should slide nicely in.  With no fully belly the lamb will go downhill for sure unfortunately :( Good luck. Sending you lots of sheepy vibes

And all the other tips mentioned above

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 05:58:40 pm »
spectam or orojet.   

and see if you can get hold of some nettex lamb kickstart, hope she improves x

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 06:02:52 pm »
Sunday. Nothing is open for me to get any more meds.

Unlikely she will make it, showing signs of watery mouth.

Thanks to all for the replies.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 06:11:00 pm »
You don't have injectable antibiotics on hand? If not its worth asking your vet to see if they are willing to prescribe for you to use if necessary rather than on a sunday needing an injection and not being able to get one. Keep a copy of the prescription in your records along with any treatments given.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 06:12:15 pm »
Have you got any antibiotics? If so I would give her a dose of pen&strep or similar... if not I'd ring the vet tomorrow and have it as part of your lambing box for future along with iodine if not used already and kickstart.

Actually I'd probably be on the phone to the vet now- large animal will run 24hrs, 7 days a week, there will always be someone on the end of the phone.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 06:41:26 pm »
Sourced some Amoxicillin powder, but it's oral.

Dosage leaflet not in the box though.........

??

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 07:01:49 pm »
do a search on google for the product name and any details you have on the packet usually you can get the product datasheet to come up.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS