Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cucumbers  (Read 1895 times)

polaris

• Joined Mar 2014
Cucumbers
« on: May 11, 2014, 12:47:23 pm »
Im quite interested in experimenting with cucumbers this year we've got a nice sunny patch that helps awfully nice and warm, but we also tend to get a fair bit of rain now and then.... Can anyone recommend a variety?mi quite fancy one of the miniatures in baskets so I can move them out of the weather if need be but a good sturdy variety could go in the space beside the herbs in the raised beds just as easily.

Any recommendations?

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:27:29 pm »
I have grown outdoor cucumbers- those with ridged and bumpy skins- with no problems. They taste really cucumbery, much nicer than the insipid supermarket ones. They do need a sunny spot but the tougher skin, that may need to be removed before eating, makes them hardy. You don't need to remove the male flowers from the ridge cucumbers, I generally don't but have had a few bitter ones though this may be because I'd left them a bit too long. I've grown Burpless tasty and Noé.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Cucumbers
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:48:57 pm »
It tends to be Burpless But Tasty that I grow too mainly because it grows well inside or out. As said, the skin is tough bit the rest is very tasty  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS