Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sausage stuffing sunday  (Read 2364 times)

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
  • near whitby noth yorkshire
sausage stuffing sunday
« on: October 12, 2009, 09:52:53 am »
I thought I'd start a new thread on sausage making as the last one went off on a tangent.

This has been my first time keeping pigs and what a learning curve it has been, I've been so excited processing all the meat but the best day has been sausage stuffing sunday, I had bought a manual mincer and stuffer and all the casings so we were ready to go, with my Hugh Fearnley W dvd 'Pig in a Day' to hand we set about producing some really tasty sausages and also salamis, we had a bit of the salami mix left so we made a couple of patties and fried them they were delicious, my son quickly got the hang of linking the sausages and it was really satisfying to see them all hung up. I also made pork pie which was scrumptious.
we're going to make chorizo and more sausages this evening.

Karen

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: sausage stuffing sunday
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 04:13:52 pm »
sounds like it was a  fantastic day.Have you any pictures to post?

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:01:58 pm »
Wowyou've been very ambitious.  We originally wanted to do dry cure ham, salami e.t.c but chicked out and just did gammon, sausages and bacon.  The gammon we are cooking up as we need it and then have it as ham for our sarnies.

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:56:31 pm »
did get some pics I'll try and post them when I get time. Just finished making chorizo I hope they all taste as good as they look and smell.

Karen

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 10:10:26 pm »
have had lovely big pork chops for my supper, from my pigs. my wife was telling me that one of her colleagues who had a 1/4 pig from me has eaten all the sausages allready. @12 lbs in 2 weeks. he must love them. i was also talking to a neighbour who has done likewise. i usualy go for the sausages first or secand, but save some for later. i am now going to get some from the freezer to make toad in the hole tomorrow. I have saved some offcuts for more sausage or salami making, so you have inspired me to get cracking. will order skins etc, and have a go sunday. :yum:

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 10:22:24 pm »
go for it carl, we had pork fillet roast with garlic and rosemary, roast apples done around the meat with a cider and creme fraiche sauce, gorgeous, I thought I might try making sausages with garlic and rosemary as its such a delicious combination.

I'm chuffed with my new mincer and stuffer

Karen

JoeMac

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Barnsley South Yorkshire
  • Milton n Rosie
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 07:31:19 am »
This forum could never claim to be good for weight loss !! every time I read it I leave feeling hungry .I have a quarter OSB coming this week gonna try and make dry cure streaky and back bacon and use the rest for sausages ,I haven't got my own kit yet though so I think the butcher is gonna make them for me .

Good luck with yours Carl

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 10:20:00 am »
NEVER TRUST A SKINNY PIG BREEDER

Well thats my excuse for being rounded anyhow - all those lovely recipes for
our lovely meat.

KP

Any chance of a recipe for the pork pie - something not available in 'Ireland and I would love
to have a go but always told it is too difficult to make a good one.

( I adore Melton Mowbray pies myself)

Julie
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 09:10:02 pm »
Hi Julie heres the recipe for pork pie, makes two pies in 8" x 1 1/2" loose bottom cake tins

hot water crust
8fl oz water
8oz lard
20oz strong plain flour
1 level teasp salt
1 small beaten egg

filling
2 lb pork from shoulder which should give roughly 1 1/2lb lean and 1/2lb fat
4 level teasp salt and pepper mix**
1/2 level teasp ground mace

jelly
1 pigs trotter
2 bay leaves
12 peppercorns

**3 teaspoons of salt to 1 teasp ground white pepper, mix together and keep in a screw top jar.

prepare jelly a day in advance, boil trotter with bay leaves and peppercorns in about 2pt water until quite soft and leaving the bone (about 3 hours) strain into a basin, you need about 1/4 pt for each pie. Leave over night and then remove fat from top. If jelly has not set simmer gently to reduce amount.

filling
remove any gristle from pork and cut into small pieces or coarsely mince and mix in seasonings.

pastry
boil water and lard then pour onto flour and salt, mix with a knife and then knead with hands until smooth (careful it will be hot) stand over a pan of warm water, divide into two then roll out 3/4 of one piece and line the tin, loosely pack in the meat then roll out the 1/4 for the lid, brush edges with beaten egg then place pastry lid on top make a hole in the centre, repeat for second pie. Brush tops with beaten egg and bake at 400f for 30 mins then reduce heat to 375f and bake for a further hour.
Boil up jelly
Allow jelly and pie to cool for 15 mins, pour jelly through the hole in the centre of pie a little at a time until full, when jelly has settled into meat add a little more for extra moistness.
Enjoy.
Delicious when slightly warm and equally delicious when cold.
Sorry its all in imperial but its from an old book

Karen

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 09:34:07 pm »
Thanks for that Karen - will try it out in a couple of weeks time -
as for imperial measures - I love the old recipes - there the best ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS