Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Freezing goats milk and cheese  (Read 3050 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Freezing goats milk and cheese
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:12:13 am »
Hi all,

Just wondering how long its ok to freeze fresh goats milk and non pasteurized goats cheese for please? Cant find any previous posts on the subject! Thank you  :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Freezing goats milk and cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:36:14 pm »
Hi Mariegold

It freezes really well but not for too long. It does separate after some time (can't remember exact timing, about 4 months or so?)  I use mine in soap so its not such an issue but for consumption it might not be so good.

Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:42:17 pm »
I often freeze mine - either because I don't have enough for a batch of cheese or I have far too much for just one batch of cheese. It can separate after a few months but the when I've tried to use it, I can never taste much difference in the final cheese - to be on the safe side, I aim to use mine within three months of freezing.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:07:34 am »
Thanks both!
Despite a shaky start I now seem to have lots and lots of milk. Have been making cheese and giving some to friends but still lots left so I am about to venture into butter making. Might order one of those separator/churn devices from Ukraine. Fun  :excited:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:51:53 am »
very addictive!!  enjoy  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 05:04:59 pm »
Thanks both!
Despite a shaky start I now seem to have lots and lots of milk. Have been making cheese and giving some to friends but still lots left so I am about to venture into butter making. Might order one of those separator/churn devices from Ukraine. Fun  :excited:

Cream separator - brilliant. We use ours regularly and I make lots of icecream in the autumn (preferably when I have some pigs to drink up the skimmed milk). We have found it works best with a maximum of 10litres of milk, any more and it tends to clog up. Much less than that and not worth doing, but I save milk up for it over maybe two/three days. (I do have 7 milkers though).

I have made butter in the past too, but my family finds it a bit "goaty", so now I concentrate on icecream.

I don't pasteurise my milk or cream.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS