Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: no tears  (Read 2924 times)

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
  • near whitby noth yorkshire
no tears
« on: October 12, 2009, 09:40:01 am »
I can't believe how strong I've been, my two OSB fat lads went off last week and I haven't shed a tear, I expected to be in pieces but all went well, a butcher friend of mine came up and butchered them for us at the same time teaching my two sons how to do it. I've got two hams in a wet cure which smells delicious ( cider and apple juice, sugar, salt and herbs) one side of bacon in a dry cure and one ham packed in salt for air dried ham. I'm exhausted.

Billy B. I'm sorry I let my 2 OSB's get too fat I'll try harder next time, they were nine months old and killed out at 100kilo and 97kilo with a lot of fat, saying that the slow roast shoulder was absolutely delicious with crackling to die for. I would have sent them off earlier but we were waiting to get a few things in place, a shed had to be finished and a freezer to arrive.

I agree with BB that OSB's are gorgeous pigs very easy to look after and very tasty.

Karen

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: no tears
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 04:16:49 pm »
Not even a lump in your throat?
I do not enjoy departure day, but you can't have the pork if the pigs still alive.
Well done, what are your plans for continuity?

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 07:59:21 pm »
Well done kp - I was the same as you, didn't know how I would react, but have been fine about it all and the meat is delicious!

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:06:58 pm »
I'll get another two weaners in spring probably OSB's again as they were so easy to look after, I haven't got space to breed and I really did it so that we could eat our own meat and know that the animals were well cared for and fed on good stuff.
I'm also hoping to venture into bee keeping in the spring, just think, honey roast ham mmm I'm putting weight on as we speak.

Hey Minimaran maybe we're turning into hard nosed smallholders, I'll have to watch a sad film to remind me that I'm still soft as washing at heart.

Karen

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:21:58 pm »
I'd just like to raise a glass (or two) and say cheers to my family and friends and everyone on this fantastic forum, for without all your help and sound advice I couldn't have managed, roll on spring so I can start the cycle all over again. Aren't people and pigs wonderful

Karen

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:27:10 pm »
oink oink :pig:
bless the pigs, more than just bacon.

Chocolatenina

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 05:10:13 pm »
Thats the part that im dreading too and i have not even got my partner his pig yet.But its what he really wants to do and it will have a great life till departure day.Also he is a butcher so im sure it will be fine.

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:04:13 pm »
Just keep focused on on the fact that you've got them for food and not as pets, but please get two pigs and not just one, if you have only one pig it will rely on you for company making sending it off even harder, I'm just a beginner so don't take my word for it but everyone on this forum seems to sing the same song when keeping pigs, they are social creatures and need the company of others.

Best of luck
Karen

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:15:03 pm »
Sorry I should have read the christmas present post first you've already been given good advice.

Karen

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 11:57:47 pm »
Well done - you have spurred me on.
We had a meal of supermarket pork the other night and it was dry and tasteless. Anyway I'm sure that the fat on a naturally reared pig will be far less of a health risk than a commercially reared one.
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS