Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: straw like (pointy) weeds growing in tufts and spreading  (Read 8708 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: straw like (pointy) weeds growing in tufts and spreading
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 08:44:29 am »
Just been to a very informative farm walk organised by farming connect on rush control.

First dig pits to check for any drainage problem that can be rectified (plough pan caused by ploughing when wet, surface pan caused by animals paddling in wet ..... I now know what is wrong with field I had sheep in last winter!)

Improve drainage as much as poss.

Second  check pH  if below about 5.8 will need liming.  The type you put through spinner works immediately and good if you going to over sow with grass seed. But will need doing annually as it washes out. ( If you have money to invest get land limed by contactors.. can't see us being able to do that till the lottery picks out our numbers!)

Third ensure rushes don't produce seeds (millions per plant and can last up to 40 years) ..... to have biggest effect cut or spray when flowers start appearing as plant is at peak and will be weakened better.   Cut and weed wipe the regrowth is best.  Use glyphosate with additive which helps it stick to rush (washing up liquid was mentioned) .    Spot spraying is OK but remember glyphosate kills anything green so will kill the surrounding grass you are trying to get to grow.

You can mow and bale to remove (makes good bedding but beware of stage of plant as seeds will set in the bale and then be spread anywhere)

While rushes on the retreat you need to put in something to out compete it .... we are on upland and an upland pasture mix was recommended .... later growing grass types (a new one on me!) ... this can be broadcast onto field after some vigorous raking to expose soil (spike harrow)  and embedded by Cambridge roll or more easily heavy density grazing by sheep for up to 3 weeks (they graze other plants right down and push in seeds with feet ).

Altogether a great afternoon and learned a huge amount .... look out rushes!!

Oh and SiN is correct they are good habitat .... so eradicate if poss in some areas and control in others (remembering to prevent flowering if possible) . Also be aware of restrictions on cutting times / spraying times for environmental reasons... cutting just at flowering is probably just when birds nesting too!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 09:08:32 am »
While rushes on the retreat you need to put in something to out compete it .... we are on upland and an upland pasture mix was recommended .... later growing grass types (a new one on me!) ... this can be broadcast onto field after some vigorous raking to expose soil (spike harrow)  and embedded by Cambridge roll or more easily heavy density grazing by sheep for up to 3 weeks (they graze other plants right down and push in seeds with feet ).

I am very interested to know a bit more about this... please?  :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 09:23:16 am »

We have reshy fields in environmental schemes, and cutting is recommended for us from August through October.  It recommends a first cut then a second 8 weeks later.

We are not allowed to cut at all from 1st April to 31st July.

We are required to cut 1/3 of the reshes each year, a different 1/3 each year of course, so that there is a variety of heights and some open grassy areas to give maximum benefit to the birds (which it lists as "very important potential habitat for lapwing, curlew, redshank and snipe".)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 12:48:22 pm »
Have a look at the last picture in my thread I bought a flail mower to keep it all under control.

Hard work the first cut due to the field not being touched for years, but the second cut only took me an hour to do the whole thing.

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=44603.0
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:52:02 pm by VEG »

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 07:50:11 am »
I have found Agritox to be very effective in controlling rushes in West wales. It does not kill grassland species but does need to be used during max growth period for best results. We got a 90% kill on thick patches using a knapsack sprayer with the dead rushes cut with a brush cutter and removed in late autumn. Regrowth resprayed folowing spring for 100% removal. But if the drainage problems and PH are not addressed they will be back!

Regen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS