Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grazing sheep  (Read 10650 times)

howard spivey

• Joined Aug 2012
Grazing sheep
« on: May 10, 2014, 02:42:34 pm »
I have heard that one must not graze sheep on the same land that pigs have been on. Or is it the other way round? I have a small orchard where I keep pigs from July to November. I'd like to put some Shetlands on there until the pigs arrive. The grass is long...too long but I will cut it first. Any comments?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Grazing sheep
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 09:37:20 pm »
I believe (but may be wrong) that it is due to the high level of copper in pig poo that might cause problems for some breeds of sheep.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:19:42 pm »
But pigs just poo in one place, so if you keep you sheep away from that, it should be OK. I have grazed sheep in last year's pig field with no problems. Mind you, the stocking density was pretty low. Don't know if that makes any difference. :pig:

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:09:30 pm »
if we were to put sheep where our pigs our they would die! simply because it is a war zone in the pig enclosure with not a spot of green and would take a good 2 or 3 years until any grass started properly growing in their naturally maybe in a year with grass seed
Cheers Ed

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 08:47:22 pm »
if we were to put sheep where our pigs our they would die! simply because it is a war zone in the pig enclosure with not a spot of green and would take a good 2 or 3 years until any grass started properly growing in their naturally maybe in a year with grass seed! :p
Cheers Ed

healthguy

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 08:54:22 pm »
these shetland sheep will be fine on the same ground . but be careful putting breeds such as blue face liecters or texels and other continentals on there , zwartbles are highly succeptible to copper poisoning

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS