Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding orphans  (Read 3162 times)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Feeding orphans
« on: May 10, 2014, 02:40:29 pm »
I have 4 orphan lambs that are about 2 weeks old, i have then on the bottle getting 4 feeds of 250ml. I have just started putting a few pellets in with them but at the moment they don't seem too interested.
The instructions on my milk replacer say after 7 days feed ad lib.What sort of amount should they be getting at this age, they get through the bottle in a matter of seconds so can I put it up and if so by how much. Thanks
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Feeding orphans
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 02:54:54 pm »
A lot of us don't ever feed milk ad lib but feed whatever keeps them healthy.

Some preps 1L per day is enough, others it's 1.5L.

Once they can manage 350ml per feed without being so full the milk spills over into the rumen (which is a bad thing), you can put them on 3 x 350ml feeds. 

They'll start eating cake when they get hungry and you aren't there with their milk ;)

You are giving them hay, aren't you?  They must have hay in order for the rumen to develop properly.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 04:28:11 pm »
Thanks Sally, they are having hay but I have only been giving it to them since putting feed in, last few days. Should i have been giving it to them earlier?  :-[

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:01:44 pm »
I've been told (by a vet) that ruminants really need to eat hay or straw within the first seven days for optimum rumen development.  So mine have it available from about day 4.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 07:28:45 pm »
we try to mimic what the lamb would be doing anyway if with theyre Dam, so yeah we do same as Sally and its been with them from very early on, even if they just play with it for a bit, they soon start to enjoy all the little soft shoots x
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:43:56 pm by Hellybee »

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 08:03:07 pm »
Thanks for that.
One saving grace is that I have a bale of straw in with them that I sit on whilst feeding and they have been nibbling at that so hopefully all will be well.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:07:36 pm »
Straw is just as good yes  :thumbsup:

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:51:38 pm »
don't forget to have water available too

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 11:57:43 pm »
.... change it a few times a day, they can be very picky x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS