Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: vaccinating????  (Read 2629 times)

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
vaccinating????
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:53:42 pm »
so the farmer i will be buying 3 lambs off later in the year to then fatten up for abattoir nearish Christmas uses hepvac p

i beleive he only normally vacs the lambs going on for breeding. do they need to b vaccinated any point in their life if i am only keeping them for this short period of time?
Cheers Ed

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: vaccinating????
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:25:30 pm »
No ---unlikely to be needed

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 08:31:09 pm »
I disagree. The sort of diseases that Heptavac protects against are just the sort of things that cause sudden unexpected death in lambs.

The problem is - for three sheep - it's not worth getting a whole 50ml bottle of vaccine when you are not going to using 12ml at most. Can the farmer do the shots? Or let you have any of his surplus vaccine?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 08:33:14 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:27:40 pm »
if it makes any difference as in disease hardiness they will be Lleyn lambs
Cheers Ed

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 10:58:37 pm »
If you are buying weaned lambs (the OP states the lambs are coming later in the year)  then most of the danger times have passed for clostridial diseases
they may be susceptible to pasturella and you could vaccinate for that I guess ? But experience tells me that this doesn't always work . Next door vaccinate but still loose the same %age of lambs to pasturella as I do & I don't vaccinate

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 08:42:55 am »
We vaccinate and have never lost a single lamb to Pasturella or anything else. We lost one last year because it was born with a congenital defect.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 09:39:12 am »
There are several  types pasteurella and the vaccine doesn't immunise against all of them.  I've lost a couple of lambs in the past to a different strain not included in the vaccine (always the best and strongest, alas).  I always vaccinate at 12 weeks and give the second dose four weeks later, but we keep most of our lambs for breeding or sell as store lambs a couple of months after weaning.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS