Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which breed to try next?  (Read 8273 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Which breed to try next?
« on: October 10, 2009, 09:21:54 pm »
Now that our Saddlebacks have gone and the field is quiet I'm now starting to think about what breed to get next spring.  Any suggestions of what the pro's and cons are of different breeds?  I'm not keen on the idea of Tamworths - I'm wanting laid back pigs.  Meat wise we will probably do the same as this year - sausages, bacon and gammon.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Which breed to try next?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 09:36:09 pm »
Any reason you wouldnt have tams again?  Or just fancy a change?
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 10:07:33 pm »
I had Saddlebacks, but don't fancy Tamworths as they have a reputation for being escape artists and are alot more alert than the floppy eared pigs.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 10:46:43 pm »
Go on be daring try tamworths. We find them very easy to handle, they LOVE people, great characters ,highly intelligent and according to many the best bacon you can get.Also we have very few problems with escapes find they are far too busy digging a hole the size of their pen.

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:45:48 am »
If you want a great character, a nice docile easy to handle pig, that is a natural grazer, nice to look at and produce's great meat there only one choice! The Oxford Sandy and Black!

Everyone's got GOS's and SB's and a few on here with TM's try something different go for the Oxford you wont be disapointed!

Your welcome to come and meet our herd anytime you like to get a feel for the breed. Am I right in thinking you over at Belper? We are over at Farnsfield so not a million miles from you!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 08:44:33 am »
MM tamworths are lovely, highly intelligent, vocal, fun the kids would love them.  We kept tamworths for years, and would do again, but for age and arthritis.

GOS are lovely, docile and easy to manage (not that tamworths aren't they are just the racehorse of the pig world).  Large blacks for a stronger tasting meat. 

Never tried OSB pigs, (I dont think there are any in N. France although if anyone knows of any please let me know.)

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 11:17:38 am »
Whichever you choose you're going to love them  ;D
Everybody has their favourites, I had a tammy and a saddleback first time round and although the tamworth was a bit mental it did have a lovely character (and only escaped the once  ;))

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 04:14:07 pm »

When I was booking my 2 Saddlebacks into the holiday camp I met a guy there with 2 Tamworths.

He said that they were very noisy which is okay if you have no near neighbours.

I loved my saddlebacks but unfortunately got them too fat so will have to be more careful next time round.
Anne

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 06:42:53 pm »
We also have oxford sandy and blacks they do make great pork still reckon tams make far better bacon/gammon.They are very easy kept and are docile.Don't find either more vocal than the other esp at breakfast time.OSB can yell as loud as any other pig.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 06:54:07 pm »
Our Tamworths are HALF as noisy as our dog, to put things into perspective. I should point out that our doggie rarely makes any significant noise. Don't know any of the other breeds, but if you want personality, Tamworths are your pigs!

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 07:06:15 pm »
Is a vocal pig, a happy pig??

My tamworths do speak to each other, probably commenting on my funky wellies!! Luckily our pigs are kept in woodland not close to anyone but I would doubt that it is loud enough to be heard inside!
They are supposed to be escapees but mine have never, and I bought two large blacks who went through the electric fence on three consecutive days!! Needess to say, we upped the voltage and they've not tried again!!

Whatever breed you decide on, good luck! X

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 08:45:24 pm »
Whatever breed you decide on, good luck! X
And tell us!
If we had more space, I'd have OSBs, just cos I love the colour! And they're not too big
Little Blue

winshamrarebreeds

• Joined Sep 2009
  • north devon
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 08:47:09 pm »
I agree with Billy OSB's are lovely friendly pigs, very laid back and in my opinion the best tasting pork that you can get

regards Joy
joy turney

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 07:40:28 pm »
I'm not sure I'm brave enough to have Tamworths, but it does seem as though Tammies or OSBs are the 2 options.  I had thought of Berkshires because they have a reputation of being very docile, but the down side is they don't grow particularly big or fast.

I think my problem is that because the Saddlebacks got quite fiesty with me & one tried to sh*g me I've lost a little bit of confidence.  I haven't been put off, but I'm definitely thinking gilts not boars this time.  Has anyone here had any experience of Berkshires?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 07:11:15 am »
We had a berkshire some years back.  It did not grow as well as our other pigs, the meat had a much milder taste.  If you are going for gilts why not try tamworths?   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS