Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hairy headed Wiltshire horn lamb???  (Read 2546 times)

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
Hairy headed Wiltshire horn lamb???
« on: May 07, 2014, 09:39:32 am »
One of my pedigree wiltshire horn ram lambs born end of march, has developed a bit of a hairy forehead!  he looks like he is wearing a little wig.  its white, but certainly a little hairier than the others and in fact it makes him look like a bit of a dorset sheep. its just on his head and i think his twin brother is going the same way!  is this bad and any ideas why this has happened?  his mum is pedigree and registered and so is his dad.  there is no way that any thing else got to the ewe so  is this a throw back to when other breeds were used?   he will be going for meat anyway but just wanted to know if this would be considered a bad trait? any ideas?

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Hairy headed Wiltshire horn lamb???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:44:58 pm »
just to add, his twin brother has developed the same sort of hairy head.  looks a bit like the muller rice bear and his little quif.  dont think it mentions wiggy, quiffy forehead hair in the breed standard does it?  does anyone know if this just happens some times?

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:58:34 pm »
Got any pics?

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 08:05:34 am »
will take some after work tonight.

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Hairy headed Wiltshire horn lamb??? with pics
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 08:30:45 am »
Hoping these work this time.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 11:04:05 am »
Don't worry about it---probably just a growth stage

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 11:17:48 am »
thanks Tim, do you think he will grow out of it then, have you seen this in wilts lambs before?

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 03:41:41 pm »
I think they will grow out of it ---I will look at my lambs a bit closer when I next see them---try and compare

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 06:29:27 pm »
---hard to tell with photos but I grabbed one dozing in the sun this afternoon and he didn't look too different from yours

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS