Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ear tags  (Read 8990 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
ear tags
« on: May 07, 2014, 07:10:24 am »
i hope this isn't a silly question, ..but when buying new stock, how soon would you change the ear tags..

and i guess, you would get your ear tags made up once you have your CPH and holding numbers ,
i know the pigs numbers are different …

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: ear tags
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:50:06 am »
I can only speak for pigs as we don't keep any other livestock that use a tagging system. It's slightly complicated when you're new to it but essentially once a pig has been tagged you don't change it. Pigs under a year old and not intended for breeding can be moved onto your holding on a temporary mark, eg a sprayed or crayoned mark, and once they're ready for slaughter they'll need a metal tag with YOUR herd number. Breeding pigs will have their own individual ID which will stay with them for life. The various breeds use different means of identifying individual pigs so  some use ear notches plus tags, others use tattoos etc.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:59:40 am »
Pigs under a year old and not intended for breeding can be moved onto your holding on a temporary mark, eg a sprayed or crayoned mark, and once they're ready for slaughter they'll need a metal tag with YOUR herd number.
Hughesy I don't agree with this. We buy weaners which come to us with a temporary mark (a blue stripe on their backs) and when they go to slaughter they do need our own herd no but it doesn't have to be a metal tag. Ours are slap marked. It may be that the abbatoir you takes yours to has a preference for metal tags but obviously not all do.
I like the tattoo because its clearly visible when you get your meat back so you know its yours. 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:01:07 am »
You never change ear tags - the only time you replace ear tags is if they fall out and get lost. Sometimes you can replace like for like if you know the exact numbers, say in pedigree stock, or you get special replacement tags which are red (I think) for sheep.

When you breed your own stock, you'll put in ear tags with your flock / herd number and the unique numbers but you don't take out existing tags of stock you buy in and put in your own.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:40:18 am »
agh….so pigs can have a temp mark.whilst bringing them from seller to your place .if under 12 months old, but when you send them off to slaughter they need to be tagged with your own tags, metal or otherwise

unless they are breeding pigs, and they will have their own number throughout their lives…i am guessing this is done at selection..ie breeding/ slaughter..by the breeder

sheep and cattle ..you keep the same tag as supplied by the breeder, but if you breed from them, the offspring gets tagged by you with your number

so i guess that means , you could have sheep and cattle with other peoples holding number on in your fields and they would also have your own tag on them…. ;D is that right..or am i being totally thick  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:43:58 am by john and helen »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:52:08 am »
so i guess that means , you could have sheep and cattle with other peoples holding number on in your fields and they would also have your own tag on them…. ;D is that right..or am i being totally thick  ;D ;D ;D

No, each animal has one tag (or pair of tags) only.  With the exception of pigs, these are applied at the holding of birth and carry the herd or flock mark of the holding of birth.  The animal wears these tags for the whole of its life and you do not put your own tags in on arrival, or indeed at any time.  When you move them onto your holding you will record their ear tag numbers in your movement book, and you will do the same when they move off.

Animals born on your own holding get your ear tags with your flock/herd number, and keep these for the whole of their lives.

Pigs under 12 months old can be moved on a temporary mark but must be tagged for slaughter.  On the pig movement documentation you must list the holding of birth, so traceability is achieved here too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:06:09 am »
Pigs under a year old and not intended for breeding can be moved onto your holding on a temporary mark, eg a sprayed or crayoned mark, and once they're ready for slaughter they'll need a metal tag with YOUR herd number.
Hughesy I don't agree with this. We buy weaners which come to us with a temporary mark (a blue stripe on their backs) and when they go to slaughter they do need our own herd no but it doesn't have to be a metal tag. Ours are slap marked. It may be that the abbatoir you takes yours to has a preference for metal tags but obviously not all do.
I like the tattoo because its clearly visible when you get your meat back so you know its yours.
Yes OK slap marks are used by some I was trying to keep it simple.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 10:10:06 am »
When you buy in new stock you record it in your stock records book so if you get inspected it is all there backed up with the movement sheets, any animals born on your place will carry your ear tags.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 01:03:44 pm »
thanks guys  :thumbsup: that was perfect sally in the north…got it now  ;D

sheep and cattle keep the same ear tags as 1st issued..you just keep their number in your book

pigs under 12 months can arrive with a temp marking, but must be tagged before leaving for slaughter,with my tags  and it must be documented of the pigs birth holding ..

breeding sows will keep the same number throughout their life ….

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 11:55:10 pm »
And, just in case, goats are the same as sheep and cows.  :goat: :goat:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 07:55:52 am »
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 08:03:01 am »
just one other question….. so i know the goats, sheep and cattle keep their number for life, as does mrs breeding sow….

so when i buy my 1st pigs, they will come with a temp tag, or marking…and i know that when its time to move them off for slaughter, they need to be tagged…and the original holding needs to be documented ….. so here is the question…do you tag your new pigs right away, or just the day before going off to slaughter

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 08:03:38 am »
thanks linda :thumbsup:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 09:16:24 am »
To add to John & Helen's question:  When you do slaughter tag your pigs, whose tag do you use?  I take it it's for your OWN herd number?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 09:28:44 am »
Can only comment on pigs but ours don't get their slaughter tags or slap mark until the day before they go otherwise there's a chance they'll get ripped out or lost, do it while they have their last feed the night before and they hardly bat an eyelid, make sure you don't hit a vein in the ear or they bleed like hell.
The tags have my herd mark + a numerical number think we're upto our 140th slaughter pig! We ordered the tags & pliers from our ag merchant think they're ketchum but Fearings do them as well.
HTH
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS