Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: phew, what an afternoon!  (Read 2496 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
phew, what an afternoon!
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:02:24 pm »
Shearing done.  Worming old and young done.  Lambs second hep p done.  feet trimmed where necessary.  Lambs crovected. Sheep fencing moved and ewes and lambs moved onto fresh ground.  Ram and his mate still coralled up and waiting for me to trailer them to fresh paddock in the morning.  Tinkerbelle missed out on a haircut as she only lambed last night.  Finally got in at 10pm.  Knackered!!

Thinking about getting some hand shears to do tinkerbelle and for future dagging.  Molevalley do them for about £15.  Would the smaller 4 1/2 inch blade be easier?  Wont be a proper shorn job on her, will just hack away at her whilst she is stood up as she is tame.  Any tips on using manual shears  :innocent:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:07:17 pm by trish.farm »

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Re: phew, what an afternoon!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:15:48 am »
Well done! What a rewarding day! I have never had the courage or skill to shear a whole sheep, and never will
 have, but my Jakoti shears are just fantastic for smaller trims. Very sharp and stay that way. Box hedges or sheep, they can do anything. Lots of people on here swear by them. They have 5" blades though, so may not be suitable for the fiddly bits. Good luck.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:36:32 am »
What a productive day  :thumbsup: Wish l could catch up on my 'chores' things just keep changing my todo list  ::)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 01:47:11 pm »
Slimjim, i wont do a complete shear, will just take off what i can whist she is stood up!!  Have already taken the scissors to her back end to clear the way for her lambs to get to her udder!! Will have a look at those hand shears, thanks.

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 02:45:58 pm »
Another vote for the Jakoti shears. I've trimmed half the length of the wool back on my 2 Dartmoors twice over the winter. Their wool is like cutting a carpet and the Jakoti shears glide through it like a knife through butter - and they do stay sharp!
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS