Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Joan's piglets  (Read 1418 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Joan's piglets
« on: May 06, 2014, 08:32:19 am »
They will be 4 weeks on Thursday and are massive.  They are certainly bigger than other litters because they are too big to go through the bars of the gate (something all the previous litters have done).

In terms of feeding, they have been scoffing Joan and Danielle's food since they were 2 weeks old, and they seem to look forward to feeding solids.  Joan however is still feeding them and has plenty of milk.  At the moment I am putting half a bucket of nuts out but, to be fair, it may be too much as there is stuff left.

I want them to get everything they need (and they seem to want solids) but I don't want to overfeed them....

The berkshire pig guide has them having half a pound http://www.berkshirepigs.org.uk/marketing.htm... but that is 2 kilos and with Mum (4 kilo's)  and Danielle (6 month old companion gilt) (3 kilo's) that is a lot of food, when I put that in, they leave some.  Mum Danielle and piglets are all like little happy apples :)

Any advice on correct amount?

They are Saddlebacks  ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Joan's piglets
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 10:38:11 am »
Hi
Sorry don't do kg's but work on 1/2lb per piglet(4?), 6lb mum, 4lb gilt, thats per day, split it over two feeds. If they clean that up quicker than 15 mins you can add a liitle more up to a lb per piglet.
You seem to be way over feeding mum & gilt at 4kg for mum which is 8.8lbs & gilt at 3kg (6.6lbs), mum needs around 6lbs and the gilt approx 4lb if you're growing her to breed, if for fattening you can give her more.
Try not to mix your kg and lb's keep to one or the other and remember a kg isn't a straight 2lb's its 2.2 and those .2's can add up especially when you do your sums!
HTh
Mandy :pig:

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Joan's piglets
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 12:27:45 pm »
Oops,  I may have mixed up my pounds and kilo's.

I'm using the berkshire chart.

I have 10 piglets  ;D at 3 and a half weeks so that is 5lbs.

Mum should have 6lb?  and the gilt 4ib so that is 15lb a day.  I'll try it like that... that's nearly half a bag and probably a little less than I've given them  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS