Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New member in New Zealand - lasagne gardening?  (Read 3474 times)

Jayhaich

• Joined Feb 2009
  • New Zealand
New member in New Zealand - lasagne gardening?
« on: October 09, 2009, 08:05:13 pm »
I came out to NZ from Suffolk about 7 years ago and have bought a 40 acre property on the Banks Peninsula, South Island.  A case of letting my heart rule my head I'm afraid- the site was so spectacular with a view over the harbour!  The property had been owned by an eccentric nurseryman who had planted (or overplanted) ornamental trees and shrubs everywhere, so what started out as pasture, then became garden is now a jungle and is growing almost visibly before my eyes.  I did not anticipate the speed of growth when I arrived and suddenly a little while ago I realised I was in danger of losing my sea view because of tree growth.  That has been remedied for the  time being.  I have 2 house cows and chickens, plus the obligatory dogs.  My lodger, Ben, came back last evening in the pouring rain/sleet with two lambs he'd got from a friend, they are now in the orchard and missing their mothers, the object of this exercise is free mowing in the orchard and free meat in the freezer.
My problem is that I was in a car accident recently and cannot organise my veggie beds for the spring - which is, being the southern hemisphere, here.  I have been reading about lasagne gardening - does anybody know anything about that?  It sounds easier than digging and I have such problems with weeds here.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: New member in New Zealand - lasagne gardening?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 08:47:42 pm »
Welcome from Derbyshire!  Never heard of Lasagne gardening, but will watch this thread with interest!

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:23:33 pm »
Me neither but it could be a permaculture type approach which involves creating raised beds and layering up lots of rich stuff to plant in to.
I have just been speaking to a pal in NZ on Skype and feel a little envious as you guys are heading into spring and summer as we are battening down the hatches for winter. Would be keen to hear more about lasagne gardening. Keep us posted. :)
kirsty

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:30:00 pm »
I agree it must have something ot do with layering amd mulching to reduce the weeds.

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 11:10:34 pm »
Silly me, I thought they were meaning "lasagna" gardening.  :-[ ;D I could only imagine growing wheat for the pasta, onions, peppers, tomatoes and herbs from the garden and beef cattle or pigs for the meat sauce and milk cows or goats for the cheese. Mmmmmm, sounds like a future plan for me ;). (only I will use camel milk to make my cheese) :)
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 11:32:39 pm »
and here's me thinking that frozen lasagne grew on trees.... ;D
Ian

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 11:35:13 pm »
No that's spaghetti silly!
kirsty

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 11:00:54 am »
Marigold  everybody knows spaghetti grows on bushes.  I know I saw it on a television programme (April 1st 1960????) So it must be true.

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 09:11:05 pm »
Hello and welcome.
Sooo envious. Our ultimate dream is to be on a lifestyle block in NZ. We spent 6 months there 3 years ago and the desire to be there is like a physical ache.  Now isn't the right time for us and we are currently looking at a move to scotland but reading your intro has sent me into a daydream...

Sorry, never heard of lasagne gardening but did find this link: http://organicgardening.about.com/od/startinganorganicgarden/a/lasagnagarden.htm

Good luck with it all and please tell us more of your adventures in NZ.
 :&> :&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 03:04:51 pm »
TW, Scotland's a lot like NZ. Honest.

Sorry, welcome, too.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 03:19:53 pm »
Yep - that's what OH says - he's from North Island NZ. He does get muddled with his north and souths sometimes though. We nearly had a disaster with the orientation of our new house, with the picture windows potentially all facing North.. Also I can't grow peaches - shucks
kirsty

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 06:33:49 pm »
Hello and Welcome - I travelled NZ in 1993 for a few months and have cousins in Taipo and Kaitaia in the North Island.

A magazine called Grow your own has a piece on lasagne gardening, basically it is layering bulbs in a certain way so that you have something coming up every few months which is a great idea to keep colour in your flower beds when things are dying
a bit like say  snowdrops, then crocus, then daffodil come over a few months.

plant like this

-  -  -  -
   -   -  -  -
 -   -   -  -  -

See if you can get the article on the net - good luck with your plans in NZ

Julie
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS