Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pigs how many and male or female  (Read 2379 times)

krisnvez

• Joined Oct 2009
  • norfolk
  • newby
pigs how many and male or female
« on: October 09, 2009, 07:50:02 pm »
hi there know putting up pig pen and fenced of area for pigs and was wondering what best to start with.  we are thinking of breeding and also for meat we are going to put half an acre to pigs with woodlands and was wondering if any one had anhy advise ??? 

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: pigs how many and male or female
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 08:20:16 pm »
I, personally, wouldn't advise anyone to start of with breeding pigs.

I would begin with a few weaners first, just to help you to gain experience and to help you build up a resistance to the harsh reality of eating your animals.

It doesn't make a difference whether its males or females but "either or" is, in my opinion, the best option. Whether or not you castrate the males is also a personal preference. As a rule, I don't, but I have done for a buyer.

Also consider your breed well too, as the more prick eared traditional breeds can be slightly more "energetic". I favour my Tamworths but they are very energetic!!

I'm sure there are loads of folk who will reply in due course with their opinions.

Lee

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 08:27:04 pm »
Hello & welcome !
I'd suggest starting rearing purely for meat until you get lots of experience with the pigs before you even contemplate breeding - SO much to learn to be sure you're doing the right thing (for you and the pigs)
Go for a breed with floppy ears - they're usually more docile and easily managed for beginers (avoid Tamworths unless you enjoy causing yourself stress  ;), but thats just my humble opinion) I don't think it matters if you have boars or gilts, but you have to be more carefull around boars IMHO and there's a lot of talk of 'boar taint' but only ever having had gilts I don't know much about that.
Gloucester Old spots are really tasty, large blacks are, well, large  ;) so lots of meat, Oxford & Sandy blacks are just so cute ! All the traditional breeds have different merits and everyone's got their own personal favorite.
Half an acre is probably about the right size for raising 2 or maybe 3 weaners up to 6 months for slaughter (others may disagree) if you are considering breeding (and I strongly advise you to WAIT until you've got lots more experience) you'll need considerably more land, you've got to allow for resting fields and have the ability to seperate sows before they farrow.
You'll have to consider housing - it need not be fancy, but should be strong, watertight and well bedded. Also feeding and storage of feed should be considered to ensure you don't attract vermin.
Have a read through the posts in the pig section, get yourself a book (or 3!) Andy Case, Starting with pigs is good and perhaps most importantly find someone locally to you who keeps or has kept pigs - go and talk to them, see the pigs and the reality of keeping them. They need far more looking after and attention than sheep, cows or horses. Oh, and I'd definately wait til after the winter to get your first ones, there's no quicker way to put yourself off keeping pigs than trudging about in cold, wet, muddy conditions and it'll take longer for them to get to slaughter weight.
Good luck  ;)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:45:17 pm »
I reared a couple of boar weaners for the first time this year and had a very successful experience.  My advice to you is walk before you run!  Get a couple of weaners, we had Saddlebacks, in the spring, enjoy watching them grow through the summer and then slaughter and enjoy the fruits of your labour.  We don't plan to breed for at least another year if not two as we want to feel totally confident in our ability to do the right things.

We had boars as we decided that unless we went for the expense of castrating we would have to slaughter before they reached maturity and start fighting.  We did this so that we couldn't chicken out and keep them as pets.  My OH had no problems with the pigs, but I found that as they got bigger they became quite bullish towards me and I'm sure they were trying to treat me like they would a sow :o  In fact when I was bent over cleaning out their water one tried to sh*g me!!!!  Next year we are going to give gilts a go to see if there is a difference.  We also want to try a different breed and will no doubt start a thread on here to get people's opinions and advice.

krisnvez

• Joined Oct 2009
  • norfolk
  • newby
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 08:54:34 pm »
hey thanx guys realy appreciate the info guess i should just get 2or three for slaughter dont mind the mud or time it takes it the new experince and self worth it gives you this is going to be a good few years ahead and very challenging by the sound of it must get more books sory for sounding blind   :pig:

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:56:52 pm »
Its never stupid to ask!!

Its always stupid to try without the knowledge!!

Good luck

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 09:04:33 pm »
A combination of books and this forum work very well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS