Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Argh. How I hate debudding!!! :(((  (Read 12968 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Argh. How I hate debudding!!! :(((
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 05:28:08 pm »
All went well. I did have one nasty moment though. The vet took one of them and said he would take the other afterwards. When he came back out to the car, he didn't have her and my first thought was that something had gone wrong but it was fine. She was just coming round in the cage inside. They both look like they have milk bottle tops on their heads - do you remember silver top milk? - but it is just the spray which they have managed to spread all over their bodies so now they look like fairies.  :roflanim:
Pleased it all went well for you, how long were they in for? I seem to remember last time they were gone for ages which is why I thought that I would take mum along in the trailer with baby as we have a 50 minute round trip.
Anne

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 10:26:06 pm »
Probably not much more than five - ten minutes each even though Cassi had already started growing a horn.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 08:47:31 am »
It's D day and I feel sick, why am I doing this I ask myself and I suppose it's because I have 2 disbudded females and small grandchildren so worry about a boisterous boy with horns.
Anne

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 11:01:26 am »
Well we are back...it didn't help taking mum along in the trailer as she still says that he is nothing to do with her. I've penned them in together and the little fellow has the heat lamp on , they have ringed him and he looks very uncomfortable, shaking and baaing away!
Anne

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 12:38:23 pm »
stick a tea cosy on them next time Anne, it'll be cheaper  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

CarolineR

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 12:45:02 pm »
Hi, If anyone has had bother with regrowth after disbudding (and unfortunately it can occasionally happen, even with the most up-to-date veterinary advice and equipment- goats are trickier than other animals) it is worth seeing if your vet is aware that the Goat Veterinary Society have produced some special materials for vets on the latest knowledge regarding disbudding in goats.

It's not well publicised so it's not uncommon for most vets to be unaware that this resource is available from the Goat Vet Society - so many species to treat, so little time! But hope this helps. Sometimes it is a case of needing to change the diameter of the disbudding iron for different types of goats, etc. The Goat Vet Society are a brilliant resource for vets as there is not a whole lot of other sources of information out there - I highly recommend them (I'm a member and found it really worthwhile)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 02:12:47 pm »
Noticed yesterday that one of my disbudded goats had knocked off the scur that she had and whilst it bled a little it's fine today.
Anne

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 02:55:26 pm »
My two that were born Saturday are off to be done tomorrow  :fc: he does as good a job as last year

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS