Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Almost time, what do I do now  (Read 3261 times)

Lynnes

• Joined May 2009
  • My boy's
Almost time, what do I do now
« on: October 09, 2009, 01:07:15 pm »
Its almost time for my boys go to slaughter  :(, I live near Girvan, Ayrshire Scotland. This is my first time with pigs and I have a tamworth, 2 saddlebacks and a middle white all boars, none pedigree though mostly true to type. I would like to sell a carcass or 2 to a local butcher but I don't know what price to ask, I have found it quite costly feeding and rearing them, don't get me wrong I have enjoyed it very much, at the same time I must try to get a good price if I have to do this again. They are doing well and eating well out doors. I'm not sure where my nearest slaughter house is I'm dismayed to think I have to travel them over an hour and half for my nearest, any help and advice on this and price please ??? 
Lynnes   

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: Almost time, what do I do now
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 01:38:50 pm »
Hi Lynnes,

Have you worked out your costs fully i.e do you know what they have cost you to raise everything included?

I sell mine to our butcher for £3.00 a kilo dead weight, They are good quality carcasses with around 16--18mm of fat.

Have you had anyone more expierence look over the pigs to see how they look, the last thing you want to do is to take them all at the sme time and find that some are too fat rendering them worthless! You can soome slim them down in the field but you can't once there dead!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 07:28:47 pm »
Try Ramsays at Carluke - they will kill, butcher, cure etc and have a very good reputation.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 07:35:51 pm »
I'll vouch for Ramsays!

I've got some going there on the 22nd, might be a bit late for booking them in there before Xmas as they get busy with their own pigs!

Can't remember the total cost per pig but I think its around £100 for all. Kill, butcher, cure, slice, and pack!

Their bacon is fab and they do about 6 different flavours of sausage including lorne and burgers.

Can't wait for my next batch now!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 08:05:41 pm »
As everyone's said Ramsay's in Carluke have a REALLY good reputation, but because they're so good they're really busy (especially at this time of year)
I tried (and failed) to get Ramsay's to do my pigs about a month before Xmas but ended up going to the abbetoir in Wishaw instead who delt with the butchers in my local village so were able to deliver the carcasses there for butchering total cost per pig was roughly £60 for slaughter & butchery. If you are doing your own butchery and packing or aren't too fussy the abbetoir will do a very basic 'cut up' for you (lets you get it in the car to transport easily) not sure exactly how much they would charge for this, but their slaughter fees were about £20 per pig (not sure now though).
I'd suggest talking to your local butcher and asking which abbetoir they deal with, ask if yours can be included with one of their deliveries, and get them to butcher and pack it. That way you know the meat will be refridgerated during transit, properly packed in approved premises (imperitive if you are selling to the public) and they may well even offer to sell some for you or buy it from you.
Hope that helps
Karen

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:13:32 pm »
I booked mine into Ramsays in July, just to be sure they'd get done. I think I have the last private pigs going through before the Xmas madness!

Someone I know sent their pigs to the Wishaw abbatoir and trhen onto the local butcher who did a great job!!

Lynnes

• Joined May 2009
  • My boy's
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 09:00:19 pm »
 Hi BillyBerridge
  Thankyou, I have worked my total costs out to be £1206.00 on the 18th October, purchase plus 'everything' for seven pigs. A friend who has kept pigs in the past has remarked on how well they look, but could be fatter. They are running in a large forested area with hills and a stream. At first they were in a field but they cleared the ground in no time. And to be honest I was slow to source out good feed prices, and free veg. I will take your advice and get someone to have a look at them for me, you have a good point. Its only the middle white that to me looks a bit on the chubby side. If I knew how to get pictures on this I would so that you could see them.

Lynnes
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:07:16 pm by Lynnes »

Lynnes

• Joined May 2009
  • My boy's
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 09:31:55 pm »
 Sounds good Ramsays at Carluke if poss. or Wishaw. Thankyou to everyone for all your good advice and suggestions and I will keep you posted.     ;)

Lynnes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS