Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeding/worming  (Read 1671 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
feeding/worming
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:37:08 am »
 ;D please can you tell me what in your opinion is the best worm and mite treatment for chickens? i have been using some stuff cant remember name right now!!!! i dont know just how succesfull its been any advice would be great. also now that winter  is coming in, with molting i was thinking am i wasting money on layer pellets as the egg production slows down during this period. would be gratefull again for advice.can anyone please tell me how to reply on this thing to other people!!!!!! i dont know and dont want other people to think langdon is unsociable!!!!!!!!! :hshoe:
Langdon ;)

Re: feeding/worming
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:30:06 pm »
For worming try flubenvet or if you want to be more organic, try Verm X.

For mites use a mite preparation

Add light to the hen house to keep production up, do a search on google for the length of time light is required.

Just press the "reply" tag to the post you want to reply to

Good Luck
SfS
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:44:14 pm »
We use spot on Frontline for dogs on the hens - approx 5 drops per standard sized hen.  We spray with Poultry Shield.  Obviously Frontline, as yet, isn't licensed for hens although I believe there is research into using it for hens going on at the moment.

polly

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:11:49 am »
GARLIC GARLIC GARLIC grow your own, crush a couple of cloves or a bulb. put it into the drinking water. replenish once a week.
This worked for my flock for 20+ years. No doesn't make the eggs taste funny! Puts the lice off too. My dogs have garlic capsules, no worms or fleas !
I used to breed, always wormed pups at 3 weeks, never saw a worm because the mums were clear. The benefit of my ancient experience is, the less chemical interference, the better. If there's a problem with health, think what can you take away rather than what can you give. The exception to this rule is GARLIC and Homoeopathy! have fun, good luck

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 10:18:06 pm »
I spray the houses with poultry shield, you have to get it in between the joints as the mites hide there, they are most prevalent where the perches touch the house but i spray everywhere. There are many different views on woming, some people worm regularly while others believe that too many chemicals and the bugs build up a resistance to them. some swear by cider vinegar but my chickens would rather drink out of puddles than touch the stuff. I think i'm going to try the garlic because i tend to think natural is better and prevention better than cure , tho of course some illnesses require modern medicines. i also use stalosan in my bedding and have never had lice but i don't know if that is the reason.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS