Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any tips on injecting pigs?  (Read 1799 times)

Nethermoor Pigs

• Joined Mar 2014
Any tips on injecting pigs?
« on: May 03, 2014, 05:39:17 pm »
Anybody got any tips for a first time injector?!  Its got to be in the leg.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: Any tips on injecting pigs?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 06:15:01 pm »
Use a slapshot, google it ,  easy to use  :thumbsup: :pig:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:43:59 pm »
sorry to hear about your pig, and sorry we couldnt help diagnose them. is it going to be ok? is it just the one?

ref -injecting, can you still lift them? if so get someone to hold them tight. if not get them behind a gate so they cant run. there will be squeals. a slapshot is supposed to be really good though i havent used one myself. i used a gun with a trigger as the needle part was nice and strong.

Nethermoor Pigs

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:26:19 pm »
i am restricted to a basic syringe :(
yes i can lift them.  the vet told me to but them on their backs and get someone to hold them, although i will make it a 3 man operation - one to hold the pig down, one to hold the leg and me to inject.
Presumably you have picked up on my other posts - one has definitely got greasy pig disease and the respiratory infection, and the other has a runny nose and likely to have the same respiratory infection, just not as developed and lesser developed GPD!! :( :(  Very big nightmare.  I reckon the breeder gave me the dodgiest of the litter.  Just waiting to see what other problems become manifest.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 02:39:48 pm »
Have PM'd you.
Keep your chin up  :fc: you've turned the corner with the vets diagnosis.
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS