Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One week to go.  (Read 4239 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
One week to go.
« on: May 02, 2014, 10:45:40 pm »
Not that I'm excited, of course.  :excited: :excited: :excited:

I know lots of you have had kids this year but it's several years since my last. I'm not sure if I'm more excited than worried or more worried than excited. The last kidding was quite traumatic.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: One week to go.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 11:51:42 pm »
I am sure it will all go well   
Time we had pictures of her so we can all guess how many she will have
Graham

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 11:56:44 pm »
  :excited: it's sooo exciting   :excited:
You have had the trauma, so  :fc: for a smoothe arrival  :sunshine:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 12:59:53 am »
Hope so, Mammyshaz.

Sokel, she doesn't look that big. She got huge very quickly but then the rate of expansion slowed down. I tried to persuade her to stand on the milking bench this evening, just to get her used to it but she wasn't having any of it. I am so not looking forward to teaching her to stand still for milking.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 08:29:45 am »
My pygmys are both due anytime from tomorrow and there is no way that I am allowed to touch any part of them apart from heads and backs but I know from last time that that will change after kidding so hopefully your girl will too.
Anne

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:47:45 am »
We've got one due next weekend too. We can compare notes!

Beth

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 10:03:19 am »
My pygmy girl Pebbles just had twins, she doesn't normally want me to fiddle with her although she puts up with it - doesn't mind a jot now she's had the twins and doesn't mind me playing with them either.  She doesn't like OH doing it though  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 09:25:54 pm »
I've been trying to get her used to standing on the milking bench and feeding but just can't get her up there. I didn't have this problem with the others. She is very strong-willed, is Cloud. I don't know if it's the Boer in her but it's hard work, particularly as I don't have the strength to physically move her.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 11:42:09 am »
Do you have a ramp up to it or does she need to jump? I'm wondering if a Hansel and Gretel style trail of her favourite treats might work.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 02:00:48 pm »
My 1st kidder (kidded 21st April) took a few days to work out that her dinner was available ONLY if she jumped onto the milking bench. But ok now, still a bit kicky though when milking out... getting there.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 07:44:47 pm »
hope you've got an important outing booked ... because she's bound to kid then. not when you're waiting for her!!

seriously though, best of luck :bouquet:
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 12:27:30 am »
She does have to jump up but it's not very high and she used to jump up there whenever she had the chance. There isn't room for a ramp unfortunately.

My 1st kidder (kidded 21st April) took a few days to work out that her dinner was available ONLY if she jumped onto the milking bench. But ok now, still a bit kicky though when milking out... getting there.

She can reach the feed without getting up so that's no incentive. I'm hoping she will be more amenable once she's kidded.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS