Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fly strike, Click or Crovec or...?  (Read 5735 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Fly strike, Click or Crovec or...?
« on: May 02, 2014, 03:06:04 pm »
Please bear with me on this- I am new to sheep and learning as I go along (mostly from your shared experiences on this forum!).
I have 2 sheep and 2 lambs (8 weeks old) and obviously want to prevent flystrike.
There seem to be so many products out there and I am not sure what I need.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is the most economical for such a tiny flock, yet effective?
They are very friendly so in theory I could treat regularly if necessary.

The farmer 'over't lane' has offered to 'do mine with his' (I am not sure what he uses) but he will not be 'doing' his for another few weeks, and there seem to be alot of flies about already.
Maybe there is some sort of sheep fly repelant I could use everyday until the farmer 'does' them?
Your thoughts are much appreciated!  :thinking:
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Fly strike, Click or Crovec or...?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 03:18:13 pm »
Depends where you are in the country.  If I were you I'd just get your neighbour to do them with his, he is more likely to know when the best time is, just from experience.

Just keep the bums clean in the mean time - dag the ewes if they need it (if there is any soiled wool), and worm the lambs as and when required.

There may be flies around, but they won't necessarily be the ones that cause blowfly strike.  It's the green shiny ones you need to be on the look out for (mostly).

When I had only a small number of sheep I used Crovect (0.8l bottle), as it was the cheapest and came in the smallest quantity.  If they are friendly then you could go down the organic route using something like Barrier Blowfly Repel, which would need to be reapplied much more frequently.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 03:24:36 pm »
Thanks so much for your advice. We are not organic but if I can reduce the amount of nasty chemicals we use then great.
Maybe I will try the barrier spray, if it is do-able and seems to work, then I will persist with it, if not then I will take Mr Farmers kind offer  :)
Regarding the types of flies, they just seem to be normal black flies, not blue bottles and not green, so maybe not evil sheep eating flies! I assume they come from the pig sheds (also "over 't lane"!). Oh and North Yorkshire by the way  :wave:
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 05:53:13 pm »
The downside of crovect is the 6-week span, whereas clik lasts for 4 months.  Crovect can be used to treat actual flystrike, whereas clik can't.  Clik lasts for a year once opened, so if you are canny you can make a 0.8l bottle last for 2 seasons.  Best apply a couple of weeks after shearing - protection is lost with the fleece.  You can buy Nettex strike plus, but you would need to apply daily - it would cost you a fortune!
Just make sure you apply correctly, whatever you go for - it's worth investing in the right kit.  I'd  trust the generosity of your neighbour - apart from anything, it will save you money!
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:57:46 pm »
keep in with the neighbour .... both clik and crovec come with their own applicator gun at £20+ each before you buy the spray!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 05:59:13 pm »
Crovect with out a doubt, just make sure you give your shearer at least 8-10 weeks notice.  our shearer wont touch a crovected sheep, unless its been left that long.  effective stuff if used with the proper dispenser. 

the two Bs

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 01:54:12 pm »
I am a novice too (sorry) and have a wonderful farmer next door who helps me a lot.

I am very worried about fly strike and am not sure if I can treat them before they are sheared? Last year (lambs then) I used Dysect as they had a problem with ticks too. The farmer says no point spraying them until they are sheared as it won't get to their skin. One of them is losing her wool on her chest. Is it worth a try? I have left over Dysect. Would that do? your posts all say crovect! thank you so much in advance.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 02:01:10 pm »
The crovect applicator allows you to get closer.  All I can add is just make sure they're dry when you do them.  The two Bs I would use Spot on for that, haven't used dysect  so can't comment on its uses x

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 06:23:32 pm »
DYSECT is almost the same as crovect you use slightly more but it lasts slightly longer ( blowfly  8=10wks )    on the downside it has a very oily smell which makes me and others feel sick , it can discolour the fleece and burn if you put it on in very hot weather

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 06:59:11 pm »
I use dysect also.
Sheep

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 02:13:43 pm »
You can treat them, in terms of spot applications of crovect/dysect for strike, but don't apply the full preventative treatment - you won't do your shearer any favours and it won't have full effectiveness on the animal either since the fleece won't allow proper penetration.  Don't just apply onto small areas.  The best thing you can do is dag and keep em clean until sheared.
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS