Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming  (Read 1157 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
worming
« on: May 13, 2014, 04:34:13 pm »
Hi there,

We've had our smallholding around 4 years now. The chap before us only kept a couple of cows and 3 sheep on rotation across the 5 acres. We are in SE on ancient agricultural grazing land and the farmer up the road doesn't tend to bother about worming.

The first couple of years we didn't bother. No problems. Last year another farmer who was helping us out with some stock highly recommended working to the point where he came and did it for us! This year I simply don't know. I've a feeling I ought to...?

If I do worm should I move fields with them immediately afterwards or after a few days?

Thanks all - experience in these things counts for everything!

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: worming
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 04:45:25 pm »

Get a FEC done, by Vet or by post.  Your vet might know more about the worm & fluke history of the area too and your neighbours.

Are you breeding sheep? i.e. do you have lambs?  If you aren't then your FEC count will probably come back very low and you probably don't need to do anything (this isn't guaranteed so get the FEC done).  If you have lambs then it might be a different story, as they are more prone to worm infestations as they haven't yet built up a resistance.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS