Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Impacted / Blocked crop.  (Read 2245 times)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Impacted / Blocked crop.
« on: May 02, 2014, 11:03:20 am »
Got a gosling, about 4 -5 weeks old, with an impacted / blocked crop.

They've been eating mixed corn / wheat, a long with grass.

Checked them this morning, and one had a big lump on her throat, upon feeling it (and feeling the wheat) it was obviously an impacted crop.

Syringed a wee bit of olive oil in and given it a massage, it's loosened a little, i.e I can move it around and feel the grains when I massage, but still full up.

The bird was fine last night before bed, and is moving around and pooing.

Any advice or suggestions?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Impacted / Blocked crop.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 01:11:30 pm »
Just keep massaging as you are and make sure she is pooing solids and it will clear Porterlauren. Problem arises when it isn't pooing solids, just fluid -that's an impacted gizzard backed up to the crop and probably fatal.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:41:56 pm »
maybe its different with geese but is it not normal for to feel a full crop on a bird?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:54:28 pm »
Just answered another post Porterlauren so to clarify, Geese don't have crops like chickens, they just fill the whole throat. So a lump in the neck is some kind of impaction caused by the long grass perhaps. With chickens it is often eating feathers.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 02:11:40 pm »
It's in the neck, and I can feel the wheat moving around when I massage it. It has gotten a bit 'softer' or looser, i.e I can get more movement when I massage it.

It's defiantly not right shygirl, the other two have eaten the same, and they have normal necks!

I am wondering if it could be feathers . . . . as when we were moving things around yesterday the goslings were next to the chickens in a cage and I noticed a bit of tail nibbling! They are buggers for trying to eat anything!

Last time I saw her poo, it was solid enough, well, as solid as most goose poo is!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS