Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What age do you Clik your lambs?  (Read 8733 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
What age do you Clik your lambs?
« on: May 01, 2014, 03:34:31 pm »
I won't do the ewes until after shearing but intend to do the lambs before the ewes are shorn.
Do the lambs have to be a specific weight/age or do you just base it on the weather?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: What age do you Clik your lambs?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 03:37:31 pm »
Min weight is on bottle .... cant remember if it is 10 or 12.5Kg  (I read both Click and Crovec bottles! yesterday.)...  most of my lambs were a bit borderline yet so think it must have been the 12.5Kg. Do you have some?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 03:47:21 pm »
A 20ml dose is for between 10k and 20k. In that case I had better weigh my lambs., but I don't think they are up to weight just yet.
Bought a bottle earlier this week Linda. It lasts for a year once opened so might get another lot out of it next year. 

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 04:06:53 pm »
Glad you started this thread Bionic.

We read the minimum weight on the Crovect bottle last year and OH said our lambs were less than the weight stated and so we didn't treat.

What do people do about lambs from smaller breeds? Just keep a close eye on them? And what if they do get strike ..... can you then treat with Crovect? If you can treat with it .... then is there a problem with using a smaller dose than stated on the bottle to at least give some prevention.  :-\

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 12:55:12 pm »
Two totally different products  , if you read the clik it says dose is  0.6 - 2 ml per kilo and no minimum weight  ,it binds to the wool and is fairly non harmfull .   Crovect at blowfly dose says min 12.5kg  it is a nerve toxin  so could be harmfull if overdosed on a small lamb

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 01:12:30 pm »
[quote author=shep53 link=topic=44811.msg418453#msg418453 date=if you read the clik it says dose is  0.6 - 2 ml per kilo and no minimum weight  ,it binds to the wool and is fairly non harmful.

Shep, thanks for that info I had missed when I looked, only seeing the chart  the label.

So if there is no minimum weight is there a minimum age? I can't find anything on the label.

What is the general feeling on when they should be done?

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 01:41:32 pm »
I tend to spray my lambs when I give them their 2nd vaccination - they get ear tagged, vaccinated and fly sprayed in one go.  The youngest would be circa 7 weeks old and the oldest 9 weeks.  They should all be plenty big enough by then.  Prior to this I just keep a good look out for any messy bums and take care of that accordingly. 

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 02:28:29 pm »
Thanks ZtL, that makes sense to me. I going to do their first vac this week so have a little while yet before I clik I think.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 03:19:43 pm »
I've got to get my tame lambs in next week to give their 2nd vaccination, would it be worth treating with crovect too? There's a couple that aren't up to 20kg yet- would I be better off using Click instead? I will worm with combinex in a month or 2 time.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 05:23:17 pm »
Followed the thread with interest, thanks also ZtL for your advice.

Twizel you mention ‘not up to 20 Kg yet’ The min weight for Crovect is 12.5 Kg if you wanted to use that.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 05:25:52 pm »
I use Clik as soon as a see greenbottles around and judge the nights are warm enough for them to start breeding.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 06:10:17 pm »
As others say it depends when you get blowflys, I do all lambs late may /june but don't expect flys until  late june 

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 06:38:50 pm »
Interesting... I crovected all my lambs (5 weeks) last week on vet advice as very sick lamb had ticks... So was crovect ing in pin line (same dose, but different applicator and pattern) for that (not fleece spray for blow fly) sick lamb (now known as daft lamb :-) ) was 10.9 kg. others would have been similar. I wish I knew what and who to believe, I'd rather not treat with this noxious stuff at all, but having turned up at the vet... ( and paid £40) I feel I have to follow advice.... ???

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 09:03:27 pm »
Sorry FiB but not the same dose ,  blowfly over 12.5kg  20ml     ticks up to 10kg 5ml followed 3wks later by 10 ml even bigger lambs only 10ml ??

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 04:50:13 pm »
 :wave:

I would use it as soon as possible

I had one case of fly strike on an adult ewe last weekend!  The weather seems to be encouraging the fly's to hit early. 

I still have over 2 weeks before shearing  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS