Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Happy Beltane!  (Read 5411 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Happy Beltane!
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:56:31 am »
"Beltane is mentioned in some of the earliest Irish literature and it is associated with important events in Irish mythology. It marked the beginning of summer and was when cattle were driven out to the summer pastures. Rituals were performed to protect the cattle, crops and people, and to encourage growth. Special bonfires were kindled, and their flames, smoke and ashes were deemed to have protective powers. The people and their cattle would walk around the bonfire, or between two bonfires, and sometimes leap over flames or embers. All household fires would be doused and then re-lit from the Beltane bonfire. Doors, windows, byres and the cattle themselves would be decorated with yellow May flowers, perhaps because they evoked fire. In parts of Ireland, people would make a May Bush; a thorn bush decorated with flowers, ribbons and bright shells. Holy wells were also visited, while Beltane dew was thought to bring beauty and maintain youthfulness. Many of these customs were part of May Day or Midsummer festivals in other parts of Great Britain and Europe."
Hmm, the fire's lit here because it bloomin' cold. Start of summer? I'll no be dancin' in ma shift th' day.
Happy Beltane! Hope summer is starting where you are.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Happy Beltane!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:30:54 am »
You missed out the sex :innocent: Fertility celebration......  ;D  . Happy Beltane xxx

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 09:32:49 am »
That hank you Rosemary, really interesting. I love hearing about our cultural history. It us wet here so I am unlikely to be dancin' in ma shift either! I did hear a cuckoo the other day so summer is on its way!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 11:12:12 am »
You missed out the sex :innocent:

You never said a truer word  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 01:30:40 pm »
Happy Beltane to you  ;D

We are fortunate to have a beautiful maypole in the village and tonight is all about the wine, not sure if they will be much dancing as its chucking it down with rain but my 7 year old is on the school maypole dancing 'team' bless her.  Its a fab time of year, love it, lets just hope the sunshine starts to come through soon!

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 03:59:38 pm »
Happy Beltane all. No dancing in my vest for me I'm too tired after helping a friend down a long flight of canal locks.
Plenty of ewes and lambs in the fields.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 05:19:56 pm »
I'm too tired after helping a friend down a long flight of canal locks.

Well at least it was downhill.   :roflanim:

Happy Beltane all  :wave: :celebrate:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 06:35:48 pm »
Not wishing to be a grumpy arse ( yeeees , i know i am , but ) , when did all these days get the prefix of 'happy' ?
Happy christmas , birthday , mothers day , easter , these i can understand , but happy beltane , solstice , st georges , patricks  day etc etc ?
Why happy ? lol .

Happy death bed day , funeral day , cremation day will be next , well maybe not , but , why do we get wished to be happy ? There won't be enough days left for me to be a grump soon . 
Have a nice day (omfg , i hate that one too) .
Oh and , good tidings to all on this day of beltane .
Ps , i am really happy already !

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 06:42:07 pm »
 :roflanim: Rusty. C'mon - if ever there was a day for being happier than usual it's the dancing round the fire and shagging day ;D .  Be grumpy tomorrow.....

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 06:48:09 pm »
Enjoying Beltane here in Avebury  :raining:
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 06:49:50 pm »
Dancing round the fire is ok , but not jumping through it , dependant on what bits one has , frazzled nuts or singed minge , not good ,  not good !
What's that about the shagging ? All that running round the fire , i'd be to knackered raise a smile , let alone anything else !

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 06:55:07 pm »
 ::) ;D

This morning it was 3.5 degree C. First of May??? I was working in the polytunnel, pricking out - and since yesterday I was absolutely frozen (on a slightly warmer day), I went off with two pairs of wooly long johns under my jeans, and goodness knows how many layers on top...

Strangely enough, the sun has come out now. But there's a forecast of frost for tonight. So I could do with that fire you are all talking about...

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 07:03:08 pm »
A bit of rain this morning , but blue sky and sunshine since that , a lovely day .
I spent 2 hours carrying stuff across the fields down to the shed , no need for a fire here Ina .

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 08:53:45 pm »
 I'm with you Rusty on the 'happy' thing. I tend to wish people a 'good' whatever if I can make it work and being an atheist it's Gud Yule not Christmas. I know some think it means God's whatever but as a freethinker  or maybe an Alice in Wonderland or Through the Lookinglass character it means whatever I want it to mean  ;)
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 09:24:40 pm »
I had my own troubles on Beltane night. It is celebrated in Sweden as Valborg night. Here the idea is a huge bonfire and fireworks. Originally the farmers let their animals out of the winter quarters on the first of May. They believed that Valborg night was very dangerous. It was a night when troll, dwarfs gnomes etc., could easily play mischief with any villagers who were taken unawares. So, the answer was fire, noise and revelling until the early hours of the morning. The idea was also to frighten wolves, bears and snakes and other nasties that might take the livestock.
They built a large fire on the hillock in the centre of the village. I cannot attend as my mare is afraid of fireworks.Then it started snowing Temp. minus 5 and a fair wind. None of the TEN people who live in the village dared out of doors to light the fire.
  My problem? What do I do now when the troll, vässel, wolves and bears have not been frightened from the village? ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS