Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags for black welsh  (Read 2064 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Ear tags for black welsh
« on: April 29, 2014, 10:05:11 pm »
I am trying to source tags small enough for my black welsh. I would also like to use twin tags if possible as I think there is less chance of tearing the ear.

What do people do regarding colours? I'm not very organised but would like to have a colour coded system. I need have batches for commercial type sheep, black welsh and goats plus now we need EID slaughter tags.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Ear tags for black welsh
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:29:36 am »
I used Shearwell EID SET Tags for all my BWM.  Tagged at birth.  Yes they do make their ears a bit floppy to begin with but they soon straighten up.

I was hoping to do a different colour each year, but I always get leftovers, so I've given up on that.  I'm on purple at the mo...it does go very nicely with the black :).

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:20:50 am »
My colour coding has gone awry too.  The orange Shearwell Set tags look smart on my black Shetlands ;D .  They are loops but I have not had any trouble with them tearing.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 11:27:31 am »
I also use the Shearwelll SET EID tags for both sheep and goats. I cut the loop for the gats but it is normally ok for the sheep with the loop kept. I don't tag until they are about 6 months old. I have had excellent retention rates for the sheep, for the goats I have to order replacement tags at least once a year...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS