Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How will I know?  (Read 4743 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
How will I know?
« on: October 08, 2009, 12:25:07 am »
My boar and one of the gilts have been together now for two weeks. I have yet to see her being serviced. Should I have put Raddle on his underside to see if he'd done the deed? Am I right in saying that she comes into heat every 16 days.....and when should I move her from him. What signs should I watch for, if any, to know that she is in pig?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: How will I know?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 08:52:41 am »
I think its every 21 days.  If the weather is the same with you as it is here, when he has done the deed you will see the mud on her back.

We find with our boar that up until the deed is done he "washes" every day in the wallow until he is well covered in brown mud.  Boar version of aftershave I think.

He eats with that sow, never leaves her side, she is the most important sow in the world.  Once has covered her he lies on his own, chases her off his feed and stops bathing.   This behaviour has in our experience been the norm to a greater or lesser extent in all our boars. 

Also the boar gets a really rancid and strong smell when he is covering.  Again thats only in my experience.

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 04:06:12 pm »
If you leave the boar in with her for the legnth of time it would take her to have 2 seasons you will definatley know if she is in pig or not. Its not the most scientific or eficient way of telling but if he show interest this time and then doesent for the next and so on you will know the deed is done!

Failing that I now where you can get a good scanner ;-)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 07:47:02 pm »
HM, I love your description of a boar's technique.  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 08:05:00 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D  just dont get too near when he is in the  mood or get covered in mud!!!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 03:52:37 pm »
I notice that her  ahem fanny, is puffed out and engorged....i'm assuming this is also a sign of being in heat

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 04:10:52 pm »
Yep she's in season

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 04:11:26 pm »
Or part babboon ::)

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 04:15:13 pm »
Forgot to say when the boar serves her he leaves behind what looks like a large white plug. It stays insitu for a good few hours after the event.Makes it very obvious she's been got at.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 05:59:11 pm »
It must be frickin' contagious, they're all coming into heat at approx the same time. Should be great fun in 3mths, 3 weeks and 3 days!

Thanks all the advice....every day is a school day!

Morgan

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 07:15:57 pm »
These things usually are. It has been shown that a houseful of females given enough time together synchronise their cycles.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 08:39:22 pm »
Bit like humans so. No sign of any white plugs yet. Thanks again Gavo, great advice as usual!

Regards,

Morgan

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 08:38:51 am »
It must be frickin' contagious, they're all coming into heat at approx the same time. Should be great fun in 3mths, 3 weeks and 3 days!

Thanks all the advice....every day is a school day!

Morgan

Your lucky that the 3 3 3 isnt gonna happen for the first time on CHRISTMAS DAY ;D ;D ;D
We spent our first Christmas as pedigree pig breeders with FOUR litters arriving at the same time
BLISS - The best Christmas ever - went from five to fifty pigs OVERNIGHT :o ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Soon you will be cooing and wooing - its great fun!!!
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 09:59:12 am »
Lol, things are mad enough on Christmas day here! Awoke to the beautiful sight of the boar getting his jollies this morning. As they say round here...Bhí sé ag marcaíocht!

Happy days!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 08:39:04 pm »
The boar is a bit of a morning riser. For the last two mornings he has been on two different gilts backs, thrusting away for all Ireland.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS