Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strange behaviour?  (Read 10381 times)

Tania

• Joined Sep 2011
Strange behaviour?
« on: April 30, 2014, 10:14:03 am »
Our first born soay lamb (this year)four weeksold today - has changed overnight from being the strongest looking and one of the most playful to a lamb which looks (for want of a better description) slightly demented this morning. She didn't come with all the others at feed time this morning, tho' her mum was calling and fearing the worst, I went in search, to find her laying in a mud patch nibbling away furiously at her legs. Her head was covered in mud and looking at the ground beneath her it looked at though she had been in the same position for some time.  She allowed me to handle her too easily and every time I stood her up she sank to the ground again and started chewing away, either at the ground or at her legs. I have checked her legs and can see nothing other than slight red patches which she may have caused herself. Although her mum appeared concerned I couldn't get the lamb to feed and so attempted to bottle feed her because she did appear a bit weak and was happy to suck my finger. She took about four ounces of milk but probably only had a couple of ounces because being new to the bottle she spilt quite a bit. I have washed her legs down in warm water and a weak solution of iodine and have left her again, laying chewing at the ground and her legs. Its not that she is just eating the grass, I don't actually think she is eating any - but it just looks really strange - not at all normal......... Mum is still in close attendance but I haven't seen her try to feed at all. Any ideas?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Strange behaviour?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:02:08 am »
As no one else has offered up anything yet I'd say, yes definitely very strange.  Personally I'd be tempted to get the lamb to the vet.  I'd also get the lamb and mum indoors, chewing at mud etc is definitely not going to help the lamb, there are lots of nasties they can pick up from soil.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 11:11:13 am »
Sounds like behaviour associated with lice or similar but would be strange for just this lamb to get lice if none of the other sheep affected.  Bizarre behaviour.  I agree that the vet might be the best option to see if they can give an injection to relieve the irritation. 

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 11:14:01 am »
Can't offer any real help ... sorry.

If our Soay are anything to go by then the fact that you could even catch a four week old Soay lamb probably means that there is a definite problem that needs sorting ASAP.

Agree with Foobar to pen mum and lamb if at all possible, somewhere dry, and take lamb to the vets.

Someone with more experience may be along soon who may have some ideas.

:fc: Cross posted with Zak

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:18:05 am »
Have you checked over the rest of the lamb's body?  It's possible it is biting its legs because it can't reach any other bits, where it could have been fly struck.  Check in its fleece right down to the skin, especially at the rump end and between the hind legs underneath.
If it is flystrike then it's an emergency or the lamb will die - it will need the maggots to be killed then antibiotics to prevent infection, general support until it recovers, and flystrike  prevention.
There is no truth in the assumption that Soays are somehow resistant to fly strike, worms etc - they're not.  Although it seems early for flystrike, it has already been reported in various places, due to the clement spring weather we have had.

This is the most plausible cause I can come up with, but there may be other ideas coming  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 11:28:20 am »
Just come back inside to post the same as FW .... strike?????

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 11:30:36 am »
I know nothing about sheep but I flattened a few big fat shiny flies during the warm spell before Easter. Flies are horrible and they are about early

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:35:46 am »
Loads of flies about - need to be extra vigilant at the moment for signs of strike and act fast if you see anything.  Bl**dy flies. 

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:04:56 pm »
I agree there maybe a little strike going on, hope lambie is ok x

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 12:53:25 pm »
It reads like some type of encephalitis  (CCN ) or a fit  ??    temp high or low ??   VET

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 11:27:48 am »
Any news?  :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 11:40:36 am »
The only other things I can think of beyond what others have suggested would be a blow to the head, or something tick-borne. We've had ticks on the dogs already this year, which is early for us.

I'd be taking it to the vet, too, I think.

:fc: it recovers.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 11:42:21 am »
Miteso or lice  off straw/hay, or ticks, we found tick on Ollie dog yesterday..

Tania

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 04:10:47 pm »
Update on lamb not good ..... took it to the vet yesterday afternoon and she wasn't really sure what to diagnose. By this time its head was twisted round to one side and it was walking in circles. Her eyes were sticky and she was keeping them closed. Vet administered a number of different injections including an anti biotic and various vitamins and magnesium. Bought her home and kept her with her mum in a seperate pen (as advised). Unfortunately this morning my husband found her with her head stuck in the fence. Once released she seemed slightly better in some ways - eyes more open - one bright one cloudy. Head now held correctly but still walking in circles and now with a bad limp. I thought she might have put her shoulder out pushing against the fence.
Still not feeding from her mum and wouldn't suck on a bottle, I managed to get a little milk down her. We were scheduled to go back to the vet at 3.00pm today but thought it was better to take her sooner and so we went and sat in the surgery until the vet was free. I expected her to suggest putting her to sleep especially when she said that her temperature had gone up from yesterday and she now thinks it is MENINGITIS (didn't even know that sheep could get this).  The vet suggested that the lamb be given another 24 hours because she still (believe it or not) appears to be quite strong. Intravenous fluids,  more antibiotics and a strong painkilling injection she is now back home. Looking at her, if I'm perfectly honest - I wish I had been stronger and asked the vet to put her down. I can only assume however that she really does think the lamb stands a chance. I will let you know tomorrow. :( :(

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 04:15:46 pm »
Well we can all be wise afterwards Tania but the vet must think she stands a chance and you've done your very best for her. Soay are feisty little fighters so  :fc: for her. Let us know how she does.  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS