Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orphan lambs: on grass or in barn?  (Read 16142 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Orphan lambs: on grass or in barn?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 06:19:12 pm »
Is there anywhere that shows the correct feeding technique?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 06:22:18 pm »
I've read various things and I'll try to find some sources later (must go out and feed sheep!) but as far as I can work out:
1. Use a teat that doesn't deliver too fast - cause them to have to suck
2. Feed above their head, so their head/neck is in the position it would be feeding from the ewe ie neck stretched, chin up - and keep the bottle upright so no air getting into lamb
3. Don't feed too much at a time
4. Keep things clean
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:23:56 pm by jaykay »

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 06:27:20 pm »
Brilliant thanks.

I've never had to bottle feed before but an aged ewe with very few teeth who wasn't supposed to be having lambs this year has had triplets  ::) so I am trying to get them to take a bottle to top them up.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 09:14:52 pm »
Beautifully put Jaykay, i will putting in my little book all your points.   as no doubt i ll be rusty again by next lambing!  I have taken to pulling out the creep (its a start to finish pellet) for an hour  after milk now, as Sally has noted,  and leaving them with theyre lovely hay to nibble. and always freshly drawn water.  have also taken to giving them cold milk, as it being tepid can (so ive read) cause bacteria to build up, makes sense in my little world ha ! 

i have use two types of teat, the little red one on the yellow screw top and a lamvac type.  most are on the little one, as they are smaller mouthed, the other two are chunks and so have the lamvac. 

we never ever water down lamlac, until the very very end of theyre milk wean, in the summer, when a bottle becomes more of a comfort than for nutrition.   

I taste every single batch of milk myself too lol

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 09:53:15 pm »
have also taken to giving them cold milk, as it being tepid can (so ive read) cause bacteria to build up, makes sense in my little world ha ! 

I was actually told the opposite by my vet. Apparently the milk is more likely to incorrectly enter the rumen rather than the abomasum if it is cold and therefore more likely to ferment, form gas and then bloat.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 09:58:02 pm »
I ll have a look see where i found this info :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 10:02:46 pm »
I've heard both. I always feed milk warm.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 10:20:46 pm »
I feed mine warm until 2 ish weeks old, but they are on an adlib feeder so milk should be fed cold anyway to avoid them gorging, cold milk isn't as appetising as warm :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 11:15:07 pm »
Very informative, thanks jaykay.  :) 

It also makes sense of why old hands don't like putting pets on grass. If they like the grass, they'll eat it and not their hay, which it sounds as though that could cause problems on its own.

It also perhaps explains what could be behind the 'don't bottle feed a newborn' thing - if it creates a possibility of interfering with the setup of the reticular/oesophageal reflex ?

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS