Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My lambs :)  (Read 2670 times)

chonty

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Herefordshire
My lambs :)
« on: April 29, 2014, 09:24:54 pm »
This years small crop of pedigree woodies. They're a cheeky lot and not a single cade amongst them!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: My lambs :)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:25:56 pm »
 ;D lovely photo  :love:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:31:02 am »
Very cute indeed, I want one!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:48:42 am »
Ha ha.  Cute then they're this age...  :-J ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 10:50:04 am »
Cute indeed , cheeky too

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 10:55:27 am »
Hmmmmh.... problem if they are still this cheeky when they get to 7 months... and those horns are a tad bigger.

I have been there with Shetland boys, and have permanent damage to my left knee....

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 11:01:12 am »
Chunky ! Happy lambies  :love:

chonty

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 12:26:46 pm »
Yes well praps in a few months ill be posting another photo with her on my back!!!!! The rods i create for myself!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 04:37:27 pm »
Very cheeky lot  :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 11:29:59 pm »
We're all being very polite... perhaps too polite.

It's a really really really bad idea to interact with your lambs like this.  When they weigh 40kg+ they can literally break your back.  Or that of a visiting child.   :o 

And it will be very hard to stop them if they haven't learned respect when they are smaller.  By very hard, I mean almost impossible without being very harsh - so what you think is being kind now will result in your having to be pretty horrible to them later.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

chonty

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 08:24:08 am »
If you can't say anything nice ..........

Oh and I can't bear children so that sounds like a bonus.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 09:54:57 am »
Have to agree with Sally, it's not pleasant being butted up the arse or on the leg by a ram lamb that is too friendly.  It's no problem with ewe lambs or wethers, but being too friendly with anything with male hormones is asking for trouble.  I'd never ever hand feed any ram or ram lamb either, for the same reason, you don't want them to associate your hand with food.

I have one ram lamb myself who has started to get a little too friendly (not my doing, I've never had any interaction with him ever!).  So every time he comes near me now to try to make him run away, either by just rushing towards him, or if he's really close, I give him a shove on the shoulder (like his mum would).

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 10:11:02 am »
I have to agree with what the others have said. I only have tame lambs... so know how tame they can and will get- mine have gone out in the field now and have minimal interaction so that they forget about me. Sure I go and check them as do others on the farm but they are left to their own devices now as otherwise later in the summer when we need to handle them/bring them in more they will be a nightmare. Luckily mine this year have been slightly more skittish than previous years due to being on a ad-lib feeder, so human contact was minimal, but they are still too tame. That couldn't be helped for my lambs but can be for yours if they aren't orphans...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS