Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Loose poo still...Advice needed please.  (Read 4120 times)

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
Loose poo still...Advice needed please.
« on: April 29, 2014, 06:21:38 pm »
Hi All,. We rescued a 2 week old Ram lamb 10 days ago.... Previous  owner XXAT said do we want it as his mum had mastitis. Of course.... upon delivery of little fella he then said he had been feeding it on BABYS milk  :-\.. and as he handed it over it was clear all was not well very runny bum..
We have proper milk in case our Ewes have any problems or x3 littleuns so got him on to the correct stuff.
He assured us he had some colustrum  :fc: .he would only take 50ml max and by day 2 with us he was down to 20/25m/..... not good... i broke a piece of the vitamin/mineral lick and he liked this and he was drinking water like it was going out of fashion... we then reduced the ammount of milk to water mix by 30% and by day 4 he is now upto a very healthy 150ml x5 a day feed and noisy which is really nice... and nibbling at Hay
BUT he is still quite loose should i go back upto normal milk/water ratio or is a visit to vet required or is there something i can give him to stiffen up his stools? He is otherwise fine..

Im Guessing his stomach is weak from the Babys milk and we asked if mum was upto date with worming!! would some natural yogurt help?
Thanks Wayne

Thanks Wayen
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:56:16 pm by greedyasapig »

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Loose poo still...Advice needed please.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:25:36 pm »
Has he been vaccinated with Heptavac or similar yet?

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 08:35:21 pm »
i would say no .. we have not had any problems ourselves so don't, and as we inherited this fella i would doubt it as very rural France.But i was looking at speaking to the vet as it is a common topic on here.. do you think it would help? or more of a preventative..
Thanks for reply Wayne

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 08:46:32 pm »
Vaccinating will guard against many diseases that lambs can pick up and the symptoms of some such diseases can include a lambs having the runs.  Depends if by loose poo you mean it is all plastered down his legs/tail or a normal amount but just loose.  With him previously having been on baby milk that didn't do his stomach any favours and so could be he is just adjusting to the change to the correct milk formula.   If he seems well enough in himself I doubt there is too much to worry about - especially if he is nibbling at hay etc.  Is he able to run out and about and nibble at some grass in the daytime and perhaps a very small amount of creep might be an idea?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 09:32:50 pm »
For any bottle fed lambs on replacer milk who then get upset tum/runs I add Volac Asgold gontheir milk and have had great success with that - but you may not/probably not get that but it's an electrolyte sith added fiber maybe you can look it up on the net and improvise  :fc:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 09:40:16 pm »
my vet said you can give Kaolin & Morphine liquid to sheep without any harm (and is used by many shepherds seemingly) but it is probably worth phoning your vet to get advice or ask if it is ok for a lamb.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 10:14:04 pm »
cocci ? may be worth getting a sample tested to be sure

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 10:41:05 pm »
streptococcus?  Joint Ill? x

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 11:07:07 am »
Probably best to check with your Vet.  Natural yoghurt might help, certainly won't do any harm.

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 07:45:50 pm »
  :excited:  Hi ALL, just read all replies thank you very much for info.... he is doing well now popped a little black peanut today and looks really well i think it was the Babys milk just mucked him up..
We introduced him to the flock today for 5 mins and he was nibbling grass and  playing..Anyway thanks again another sucess story for the Forum.
 :relief: :wave:

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 05:53:17 pm »
For future reference milk of magnesea will dry up most non viral diarrhoea, useful to have a bottle in.

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 08:19:40 pm »
Ahhh nice one i will remember that one.... he is a totally different sheep to 2 weeks ago... a proper lattle happy lamb now..spoilt though as in the lounge this evening!!
Cheers all

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 09:16:45 pm »
Excellent news  :thumbsup:

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS